View Single Post
Old 2008-08-29, 20:30   #2
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

10000101010112 Posts

I don't think Prime95 per se would run on it since something like that's most likely not on Windows, but something at http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm should be able to run it. Which depends on the OS.

I don't know how fast it'd run, but I'd recommend running a different number on each core to maximize parallelization. GIMPS has 38527 cores classified as P4 (includes P4, Core 2, and any other fairly new Intel chip), so I doubt your 64 would be a very large percentage, but hey it'd be quite a bit of processing power and would be much appreciated.

Also, be sure to read this disclaimer posted on the Download page:
Quote:
Disclaimers: It is up to you to get your employer's permission before installing this software on any office machines. Many companies have a strict policy against running any non-business software. ... You should decide beforehand how you are going to split any prize money if you are using a company, friend's, or co-worker's machine.
There's some other disclaimer-type thing saying that you need to have it in writing with your company, since it could cost them a lot in power and cooling costs. With such a powerful machine, I doubt it's yours personally, so you need to be very sure you have permission to run it. It will use a lot of power and make a lot of heat that will need to be cooled to run such a powerful computer 100% 24/7, so make sure your company/the owner of this is willing to take that bill.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote