Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2·1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
so basically you've been running into this a lot:
Brilliant rant!

And yes... all of that. I loved the bit about adding an ellipsis to break up some text when you want to just show a snippet. We had to deal with that a little bit ago.

When dealing with words/sentences of unusual lengths, on one end of the spectrum we have Simplified Chinese (zh) where an entire sentence might only be 5-6 glyphs.

On the other end is German and Russian... mostly German. Their unusual (to non-Germans) way of compounding words into obnoxiously long things is amusing at first, and frustrating when you're trying to come up with text for menus or headers.

There's the funny example of Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft

And you can't just blanket upper/lowercase words for style reasons, because Germans won't like that.

Fortunately we have a staff of very dedicated and hard working editors/translators who work patiently with our devs to work around all of those special cases.

I'll have to share this video with the team... they'd get a kick out of it.

Anyway... to keep it on topic, so yeah, I guess I should find a way and time to alter some columns to nvarchar just to make sure we're storing display names (at the very least) in a suitable way.

Last fiddled with by Madpoo on 2016-08-31 at 05:14
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote