ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2·2,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
I will counter with my personal preference for co-located hosting: 1&1.

Yeah, I know 1&1 are often disparaged, but I rent three of their dedicated server (one for over eight years) and they are *highly* reliable. Only once did I have an outage, and it lasted all of six hours (and it was because of a DDOS).

Unlimited bandwidth with a 100 Mb/s connection in or out. And it's hard to beat $40 USD a month. (So you all know, GPU72 runs on a L2 -- MySQL database size is 6.4 GBs with indexes.)

And to reflect on James' comments, my personal preference would also be no M$. We should be past using expensive crapware. Like, yesteryear....
I'm afraid that, even keeping the server and the database on one machine with Linux, 2 cores and 2MB of space would not be enough, nor scalable, but, as I said before, the choice is a matter of the ruler. On Amazon you get the following (prices are for Italy/Europe, US customer get a better rate):

Code:
Linux on m1.large: 2 virtual cores, 4 ECU (general purpose system), 7.5 GB, 2x420GB local
storage, moderate I/O capability.
Cloud storage: 400 GB, 100 IOPS.
Elastic IP: 1 elastic IP (free).
Data Transfer: 1TB/month inbound, 1TB/month outbound through elastic IP.
Elastic load balancing: 1 for 1TB/month
with a bit more than $200 per month or just $64 per month just for the server.

1&1 is known in Italy as a web-design service dealer, so I can't rely on this piece of information, and assume you are correct. My assumption is that the burden is put on the organization of the project, not on the costs.

Luigi

Last fiddled with by ET_ on 2014-05-13 at 18:34
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote