Old 2020-02-01, 22:52   #1811
JCoveiro

"Jorge Coveiro"
Nov 2006
Moura, Portugal

2×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx005fs View Post
You have an Nvidia Turing GPU which is amazing for trial factoring, and the 1660 is particularly efficient in that workload due to its 1080ti like performance but significantly lower power draw. In that case, overclocking the core will help trial factoring but memory won't change anything but waste more power. Go ahead and try that out if you want to factor some numbers.

A1: Definitely buy 2 radeon VII over big navi, I seriously doubt amd will put FP64 performance on big navi since the norm right now for gaming GPU is to cut down FP64 as much as possible to save die space for Ray Tracing or Shaders.
A2: I think the OpenCL is still broken on Navi GPUs and run much more stably on GCN GPUs. Even if it's not broken I am assuming that the 5700xt should perform slightly better than a stock Vega 56 in PRP, so around 3000us/it for 5632K FFT. But Radeon VII should get it close to 1000us/it (I personally don't own one but if i remembered correctly from other owner's benchmarks).
A3: gpuowl is already the fastest option for primality tests. Maybe future optimizations will make it even faster but for now it's going to be way faster than CUDALucas on memory bound GPUs such as Titan V or Radeon VII (in which the latter doesn't run on CUDALucas but gpuowl is 2x faster on Titan V). Though it doesn't matter if you own a modern Nvidia (supporting OpenCL 2.0 and above) or AMD GPU and you should always run gpuowl over CUDALucas or CLLucas due to its superior error checking algorithm that could potentially eliminate the need for double checking.
Thanks for the answers!

Well... AMD 5700 XT is alot cheaper than the Radeon VII.
They're almost half-price of the Radeon VII.
Also 3000us/it for the 5700 XT is still good, but 1000us/it for the Radeon VII is awesome!
JCoveiro is offline   Reply With Quote