View Single Post
Old 2020-06-28, 03:36   #1
windowfrog

Jun 2020

22 Posts
Post Best type of Prime95 work for my laptops

Hi there,
I heard about the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search in the past, but didn’t officially start using the Prime95 program until this week.

I searched on this forum and a few other sites to try to find the information I’m looking for - the best type of work for my laptops to run - but I still feel like I don’t fully understand. I’m new, but trying not to ask repetitive questions!

As of right now, I’m running trial factoring on my (very) old laptop - an Intel Core2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz - and double checks on my new laptop - Intel i7-7500U @2.7GHz. Both are running about 12-14 hours a day, since I don’t feel comfortable running the program overnight.

My understanding is that trial factoring is better on GPUs, but what other short-term type of work could be done on the old laptop that won’t take months or years to complete? I attend school out of state, so having the assignments be quick is preferable. For the new laptop, is there a way to have PrimeNet assign LL/PRP/etc. tests that will still take only a month or two to complete but aren’t just double checks?

Is my thinking wrong for either or both of these, and there’s something else I should consider? I ideally want to balance the long-term distributed computing part of GIMPS with the short-term “fun” aspect of finding factors (like I did the other day, when I found a factor for an exponent and I jumped up and down in excitement!).

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
windowfrog is offline   Reply With Quote