View Single Post
Old 2006-12-01, 21:42   #11
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

10111011110002 Posts

I've looked at your post, i.e. Citrix's post, and see that he does use the same logic. I understand now why his code is more efficient. It is as he has stated. My code is tuned to sieving small ranges of consecutive n, which are fairly dense even after deep sieving. Since Citrix is using a large range of n where n must be prime, the density is much less (probably by a factor of between 20 and 30). The difference between our code would be even greater if his range were larger, but would be less if his range were smaller.

I could probably modify my code to use a dynamicly sized table (instead of a staticly sized table) to hold the values from 2^1 to 2^maxdiff (mod p). I suspect it would be much closer (and possibly faster) than Citrix's code. Citrix, if you are interested I could send you the source and point you to where the change needs to be made.

Maxal, I'll have to chew on your post a while. I think I have seen that suggestion before, but I didn't pursue it because as p gets large WRT the size of the range of n, it becomes much slower.