EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

363410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Not really... But you may get lucky...

You can put "v=1" (no quotes) in yafu.ini to see info about expected t values and all the "verbose" stuff. It helps a lot, but it slows yafu a bit (below 1%).

For the future, if you have more computers doing the same job is better to use "plan=custom" and supply a higher ecm percent for only one computer, but supply lower (or even none, you can use aliquiet with -e switch, or -noecm for yafu, etc) for the others. If you have different levels of ecm, some computers will finish much faster and will switch to poly. When the ECM finishes in the last one, you will have already one good poly. You can check which poly is best, and copy it in other machines, then resume with -e. It looks like a lot of work, but this way you save a lot of time with the poly selection, if you don't do that by GPU. If you do it by GPU, then it does not matter, that is much faster anyhow.

Also, if you have many old machines running 32-bit XP there, be aware that yafu's ecm is much slower on 32 bit machines, about half of the speed. You should try to run ecm in 64 bit OS.
Thanks! I actually used YAFU because it was quick to engage. I plan to use a script that will assign ecm.py tasks to all the available machines in smaller chunks and then automatically step to the next B1 after the predetermined number of runs have been assigned. That's how I used to run Aliqueit a couple years ago: one machine ran Aliqueit and I had scripts that caught the Aliqueit calls and spread the ECM and gnfs tasks out to the machines that were available. I'm in the process of resurrecting that method for ecm.py and other things.

All my 32-bit machines are dormant. The current machines, although old, are at least 64-bit and multi-core. They are all running linux.

I do have two NVidia cards that worked way back when, but they are too ancient to run with anything current.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote