View Single Post
Old 2021-10-07, 23:49   #5
AwesomeMachine

Apr 2018
USA

716 Posts
Default PSU doubtful cause

Well, I doubt if it's the PSU, because it's a laptop, and the mprime program itself requires more power than executing the trim command. The drive passes every test of it's functionality. The problem only occurs with the combination of mprime and fstrim. And now the problem has mysteriously disappeared without even the most insignificant hardware change.

I doubt if the ram was being written over, because that has nothing to do with the issue, and if it was the cause, it would occur in other scenarios. Alpha particles were a problem for system memory in the 1970s. So, probably not currently relevant.

I surmise the program, to avoid making huge files outright, uses sparse files, and fstrim doesn't handle sparse files well if they are open for r/w. Mprime, when stopped temporarily.

When the mprime program is quit, using the menu item, it writes it's data and closes the files. Then, fstrim has no trouble determining the correct boundaries.

Or, since I'm guessing, I might be completely incorrect!

I want to thank the contributors to this discussion thread, for sparking my mind to think.
AwesomeMachine is offline   Reply With Quote