View Single Post
Old 2017-06-04, 01:48   #74
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

134628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
in theory your income would be hourly rate * hours at least pretax
Right... but I was actually asking about Basic Income which as I understand is the Canadian equivalent of the US welfare system (TANF, SNAP, Section 8, etc.).

Quote:
but for me on the system my assistance is related to the above and what I claim to get an initial check ( for example when I tried to go to school/a job placement I got to claim clothing on top of what I was getting, living with my sister at one point it was part of the electric bill I think and up to a certain amount of the rent etc.)
Right, that's closer to what I meant.

Quote:
edit: if I expanded to other provinces I was thinking of have coloring based on minimum and maximum so people can figure out which province is best if they make between certain amounts.
Sounds useful! If nothing else it could be used to show the difference between different provinces and territories.

Quote:
the marginal rates based on a quick google search would be the rates I used to calculate the sum wouldn't it? whereas the effective is just (income tax)/(total income) at least for people without capital gains wouldn't it ?
Effective tax rate is just actual tax divided by income, yes. Marginal tax rate is the derivative of the effective tax rate with respect to income. It's often described as the tax you would pay on one additional dollar of income. In a progressive tax system, it is greater than to your effective tax rate.