Thread: White 16
View Single Post
Old 2013-12-02, 11:57   #8
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

769210 Posts

[QUOTE=LaurV;360807]I considered that 16.Nxe5 is "strategically" not so good, because they can capture with the bishop, therefore forcing us to capture (otherwise we have a piece less), so we get to exchange anything and play the final with N+B against N+N, which might be bad for us (horses are better on finals).[/QUOTE]Knights are _not_ necessarily better than bishops! (Indeed, most think that B is slightly better than N, on average.) It depends on the pawn structure, whether the B can maneuver better. A dogmatic preference isn't good.

[quote]After I analyzed the versions in your post, I looked better into it, assume they take indeed with the bishop, it doesn't seem good for them, anymore. 16. Nxe5 Bxe5. 17. fxe5 Nxe5 18. Bf4 and link the black knight after the exchange.[/quote]Yes, thanks for noticing that.

[quote]If they push c4 instead capturing, i mean 16. Nxe5 Bxe5. 17. fxe5 c4, this looks very bad for black after 18. d4, they can't do nothing there.[/quote]Okay.

[quote]After 16 Nxe5 Nxe5 < snip >
2) take the bishop, then the horse, if it stays there (Bxb7, but in this case 17...Nxd3, we play with a pawn less, because we need to take that white bishop out first, from b7: 18.Be4 c4) - for this version I would not sacrifice the pawn in d, for noting. This continuation path is good for black.[/quote]Right. Confirms previous opinion that we let Black initiate the white-squared B exchange.

[quote]The first continuation path seems a bit better for us, but I don't know what we do after it: 17.exf5 Bxg2 (forced, they have to move the rook, and the bishop is not defended) Kxg2 Rc8, we attack a pawn and have 2 to defend...[/quote]Which two pawns would we have to defend?
e5 & ?

- -

16 fxe5

I've gotten lost -- what is Black's best reply to 16 fxe5 ?

not 16 fxe5 Nxe5 17 Bf4 ?

not 16 fxe5 Bxe5 17 Nxe5 Nxe5 18 Bf4 ?

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2013-12-02 at 12:20