Thread: White 16
View Single Post
Old 2013-12-01, 15:38   #7
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

52·7·53 Posts

I considered that 16.Nxe5 is "strategically" not so good, because they can capture with the bishop, therefore forcing us to capture (otherwise we have a piece less), so we get to exchange anything and play the final with N+B against N+N, which might be bad for us (horses are better on finals).

"Tactically", I did not go very deep, because I like 16 fxe5. Here, if they don't take, we can later push d, and we got the pawn from f moved to e, to support d/c pawns. With 16.Nxe5, we can not.

After I analyzed the versions in your post, I looked better into it, assume they take indeed with the bishop, it doesn't seem good for them, anymore. 16. Nxe5 Bxe5. 17. fxe5 Nxe5 18. Bf4 and link the black knight after the exchange.

If they push c4 instead capturing, i mean 16. Nxe5 Bxe5. 17. fxe5 c4, this looks very bad for black after 18. d4, they can't do nothing there.

With 16 Nxe5 O-O (???) Nd7 they lose a rook. Not good for them, certainly win for us.

And etc, all the other versions you analyze, are not good for back, you are right.

But all of it is based on your affirmation "Suppose Black doesn't capture with 16 ... Nxe5" which you did in the beginning of the former post. Because if he does.... well...

You did the assumption in the beginning, but is seems that you forget it along the analyze expanding, :smile: and even affirming that c4 is their best reply. I am not so sure about that...

After 16 Nxe5 Nxe5 we have only two continuations possible:
1) take the horse (17.exf5)
2) take the bishop, then the horse, if it stays there (Bxb7, but in this case 17...Nxd3, we play with a pawn less, because we need to take that white bishop out first, from b7: 18.Be4 c4) - for this version I would not sacrifice the pawn in d, for noting. This continuation path is good for black.

The first continuation path seems a bit better for us, but I don't know what we do after it: 17.exf5 Bxg2 (forced, they have to move the rook, and the bishop is not defended) Kxg2 Rc8, we attack a pawn and have 2 to defend... But we have the sente, so black can't beat both pawns, he has to choose... (People used to make fun of me because I use terms from Go in chess... hehe, but now you see why sente is important...)

Here we need more thinking, it might turn out better for us.

Up to now, I agree that all black responses to 16.Nxe5 are very bad for black (and good for us), except 16...Nxe5

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2013-12-01 at 15:45