View Single Post
Old 2006-03-22, 19:07   #10
Mystwalker

Jul 2004
Potsdam, Germany

3·277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman
The issue is NOT whether anyone misunderstood. The *intent* of the question was totally clear.
So, your teaching inefficient communication forms (due to massive redundancy) and the renunciation of pragmatism for the sake of - ultimate correctness in a Lounge-posting whose core is hardly about math at all (or would it make a difference if the question was "Will we find a new rhyme below an aussie foo?")?

Somehow this reminds me of bureaucracy: "It's inefficient and superfluous doing so... but you have to do so!"

Quote:
That does NOT preclude my trying to teach people to be more precise
in their mathematical phrasing.
I don't know if you are aware of it...
but I haven't heard of anyone yet that favors this special "help" of yours - at least when we have situations like this one.
There really are situations when your advice is appreciated, no question.
But please refrain from those comments above.

All you achieve is:

1. Bad atmosphere in the forums.
2. Antipathy towards your person, already showing in the unwillingness helping you (which is sad).
3. A lot of wasted time due to senseless discussions, which will never change anyone's opinion (here, we bridge to inefficiency again).

What you will definitely not achieve:

4. A change of mind towards your demand.

I'm quite sure this is not what you intend - but I'm quite confident this is what you cause.

Quote:
And by the way... There are other prime searching projects discussed in this forum... Not all primes discussed herein are Mersenne primes.
As you said: "The *intent* of the question was totally clear."
Mystwalker is offline   Reply With Quote