Thread: White 15
View Single Post
Old 2013-11-17, 15:35   #4
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

222318 Posts

I didn't overlook Ng5, but I just don't like it... 15.g4 f5 16.Ng5 Kd7 17.gxf5 gxf5 18. exf5 [B]Nxf5(!)[/B] We have to retreat the bishop, or defend it, we may continue like: 19. Bf2 h6 20. Ne4 Rhg8 21.Ne3 Nxe3 22. Bxe3, we play most of the sequence in gote, and yet, the last moves are to force the exchange so we could get the king out of the two links, and we are still in gote, not way to get the sente.

Ng5 might be a better move if we do it without g4 (I mean, we can do 15.Ng5,h6 16 Nf3 :smile: and confuse his pawns, then do d4 or e5, at the end, the goal is to attack the king) but I am not so convinced... If we do that, we give them the sente for free, as they could chose the move after we retreat the horse.

On the positive side, I looked again to the a4 (when it is not midnight and you are half sleeping, i.e. and your eyes see from between your teeth, as we use to say), it may be a good move. I was fixed on the "we either beat cxb4, or push c4", but in fact, we can do neither, just let them beat c3 first! This alternative looks better for us that it looked last night: 15. a4 b4 16.e5 Nd5 17. exd6 bxc3 18 bxc3 Bxc3 19. Rc1 Nd4 20.Nxd4 Bxd4 21.Bxd5 Bxd5 22.Bxd4 cxd4 23. Rc7 f5. We block the center, exchange every material we can exchange, we get an advanced pawn which we can sustain (well, partially...), and we have horse against bishop on the final (where his bishop is not so effective, because all our pawns are on the other color). Here we have [U][B]at least[/B][/U] a clear draw, without effort. If we can get the horse out from there (which is not easy, but is possible! Nf2, etc, horse on this final positions is usually more effective and valuable than a bishop) then we won this game. Else, we have a draw. At least!

So, let's keep in mind that we can actually force a draw with a4. The comfortable (no risk) way. Now, let's see how we risk and win :smile: Any better idea?

The moves still on my list: (arbitrary order:) a4, d4, e5, any passive move with the rook, as a2, b1, c1, f2, e1. In fact, Rc1 and Re1 look good if we want to start exchanging and get the columns. Rf2 defends b2, and created space in f1 for the king to leave the links (in case black rook in g8, and bishop in b7).

But the position is bloody complex. The other game was simpler...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2013-11-17 at 15:39