View Single Post
Old 2016-07-14, 22:00   #4
GP2

Sep 2003

5×11×47 Posts
Default Configure ssh for the default security group

This part will need to be done separately for each AWS region that you use (but for now let's just do one region).

In this section, you will set the permissions that will allow ssh logins to your instances.

Go to the EC2 console at http://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/ , then click on the "Security Groups" link in the left-hand-side menu.

Make sure you are in the AWS region you intended to be in, and change it if necessary. The region name is indicated at the top right part of the page. Make sure it is a region where EFS is available.

You will see a table with one or more lines. Click on the line that has "default" under the Group Name column. The check box on the right-hand side will fill up in a blue color.

In the bottom half of the page, make sure the Inbound tab is selected, then click on the Edit button. Select SSH for the "Type" heading, which will automatically change "Port Range" to 22, and select "My IP" for the "Source" heading, then click on the blue Save button.

Code:
   Type     Protocol   Port Range         Source
   SSH      TCP        22                 My IP   ___________
Note the ___________ will be filled in automatically.

NOTE: if your IP address ever changes in the future, you will need to repeat this step. Otherwise your ssh login attempts will time out and fail.

If you want to avoid having to reconfigure this whenever your IP address changes, and if don't care about security, you can choose "Anywhere" instead of "My IP" for the "Source" heading, but that's not recommended.

When you launch your instances in the future, make sure to launch them under this "default" security group, and not under any "launch wizard" security groups.

Next section: Create a new security group for mounting EFS

Last fiddled with by GP2 on 2017-06-08 at 05:14
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote