View Single Post
Old 2007-12-14, 22:37   #1
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×5,113 Posts
Default Bases 4-32 reservations/statuses/primes

Please use this thread for posting reservations and statuses on bases 4-32 for "Conjectures 'R Us". When considering what to reserve, please take into account the size of the base. Base 30 of course tests much slower than base 9 at the same n-value. Also for bases that are powers of 2 (bases 4 & 16 for this effort), LLR will convert them to base 2 before searching, which means faster searching at effectively the same size of test. Although it will write out the 'primes' file in base 4 or 16, the results file will be in base 2.

For statuses, these are guidelines only. Nothing is set in stone. Please report a status at least once/month and preferably more frequently. The web pages will be updated most every day to include new info. and sometimes several times a day. Use your own judgment on this. If you're searching at n=5K on multiple k's and are knocking down primes left and right, then report in a little more often. Clearly if you're searching above n=100K, then once/month to let us know where your search is at is fine.

I am currently working on Sierp base 16 for all k's. I am up to n=19K and will take it up to n=25K, which should be done Sunday. I'll then post the 60+ k's remaining for everyone else to search. I'll wait to see what the response is before reserving any more k's myself. I have eliminated all k's where higher primes were found for bases 2 and 4 and could be converted to an equivalent k base 16.

Base 16 is a good base because it LLRs like base 2 for the equivalent size, i.e. k*16^n+1 LLRs at the same speed as k*2^(4n)+1. This is one where I think we'll get a lot of top-5000 primes! It only takes an exponent of around n=83.4K to make the top-5000 list and with 60+ k's left at n=25K, there will be plenty to go around.

More than one person can reserve the same k for a different n-range. k's already reserved can be reserved by a 2nd person for the lowest n-range above that which has already been reserved. I enourage this kind of collaborative effort to facilitate reserving many k's for a narrow n-range or knocking out very stubborn k's. If this happens, the k will be shown on the reservation pages with both people and their respective n-range reservations. Clearly if one person finds a prime, then the other can choose to stop searching at his own discretion. Both people should check the primes and reservations threads a little more frequently than they normally would.

Thanks,
Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2010-01-18 at 09:05 Reason: clarification in 1st para
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote