View Single Post
Old 2021-10-02, 19:05   #19
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

22·7·359 Posts
Default Ubuntu Desktop (Mate) 20.04.3 LTS is not "fit for purpose" (at least, for me).

So, a quick update... It's been just short of two weeks now within the Ubuntu Mate 20.04.3 LTS Desktop environment. I've been applying all updates as they become available.

I'm finding it is not stable enough for my requirements. Nothing special... Just drive three HD monitors (one via an MB video port, the other two through a GTX 1050), and run *lots* of software concurrently (terminals, browsers, VMs, etc).

And, please do this while providing a *stable* work environment. I nominally keep my workstation machines running for weeks at a time between reboots. *I* should choose when those happen, not my environment!

WAY too many crashes! WAY too often!

Seems to be mostly "Marco 1.24.0-1ubuntu1" crashing, which causes a massive ~2-second "seizure" which results in windows being moved from where positioned. I've also found that OBS doesn't "play well" in the environment (which surprises me quite a bit; OBS is very mature software).

My next step is to try Ubuntu Mate 21.04, and see if that release has fixed these bugs. I suspect the problem is "upstream", but Fedora 33 onwards did *not* have these problems (32 and earlier did).

The machine in question (Burrow / Hobbit) is far from the top of the line, but it has 6 real cores, 64 GB of RAM, and 120 GB of highspeed swap.

It *should* be able to (and did under Fedora) provided a stable desktop. I'm giving Ubuntu one more chance.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote