mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   PrimeNet (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Upgrading a cat. 0 box (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=23154)

ckdo 2018-03-12 14:02

Upgrading a cat. 0 box

I have parts in the mail to upgrade one of my PrimeNet boxes. In PrimeNet's eyes, I will be retiring a box and introducing a new one.

While I have done so numerous times before, this will be the first time under the "new assignment rules", so I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry.

At the time of the upgrade, the box will be processing four cat-0 DCs with up to four more assigned, but unstarted thus far.

Questions:

- Will the "new" box be able to finish the "old" boxes' assignments (started and/or unstarted)?

- Should I start the unstarted assignments while they are still on the "old" box in order to prevent auto-de-reservation while the "new" boxes' speed hasn't settled?

- Is it necessary (or recommended) to get the new box established with PrimeNet (i.e. achieve "trusted client version" status) before copying the assignments over?

- Is there any other trickery necessary/recommended? (I do not want to take the FixedHardwareUID route this time.)

I am aware that the "new" box will probably no longer receive cat-0 / cat-1 assignments for a while. That's fine with me. My concern is solely with losing work and/or assignments...

P.S.: I have a second cat-0 box running that could finish the assignments, but that one would get close to the deadline. I'd really prefer to finish the assignments on my "new" box.

Prime95 2018-03-12 14:14

[QUOTE=ckdo;482145]
- Will the "new" box be able to finish the "old" boxes' assignments (started and/or unstarted)?[/quote]

Yes.

[quote]- Should I start the unstarted assignments while they are still on the "old" box in order to prevent auto-de-reservation while the "new" boxes' speed hasn't settled?[/quote]

Not necessary.

[quote]- Is it necessary (or recommended) to get the new box established with PrimeNet (i.e. achieve "trusted client version" status) before copying the assignments over?[/quote]

No, just copy the directory and optionally change the computer name.

[quote]- Is there any other trickery necessary/recommended? (I do not want to take the FixedHardwareUID route this time.)[/QUOTE]

You might be able to merge CPUs and preserve your cat 0 status. I've never tried that as I like to keep the CPUs separate for historical reasons.

ckdo 2018-03-12 14:48

Gee, quick service today! :shock:

[QUOTE=Prime95;482146]
just copy the directory and optionally change the computer name.
[/QUOTE]

Since I'm going from four cores to six and from 16GB to 32GB, there's going to be some messing with the config files here and there..

[QUOTE=Prime95;482146]
I like to keep the CPUs separate for historical reasons.
[/QUOTE]

So do I. Like I said, not a problem losing cat-0 status for a while.

Thanks, George!

axn 2018-03-12 15:24

[QUOTE=ckdo;482150]not a problem losing cat-0 status for a while.[/QUOTE]

You will be able to gain your cat 0 status (assuming you lose it) faster if you run multithreaded.