mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   jasong (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   What's cheapest way to get a Spotify device? (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=19759)

jasong 2014-10-14 00:21

What's cheapest way to get a Spotify device?

I don't know a lot about cell phones, maybe that's the solution. Anyway, I'm looking for a cheap way to get Spotify functionality when I go walking. I'm willing to buy a children's toy if that's the cheapest way.

I'm only willing to get a cellphone to solve my problem if the overall cost is less than an extras $20-$25 month above a children's toy. This might change, but at the moment I have no desire whatsoever to buy a cellphone.

I've also heard there are other services out there, so if you guys think there's a better solution than Spotify, do tell. :)

Primeinator 2014-10-14 06:04

Even if you had a cell phone you would still need a good data plan (or unlimited) as streaming songs is going to deplete your data very quickly. I'm not sure of any toy that does what you ask. I think you are going to need some cellular device unless you are graced to live in some utopian future where there is free WiFi as you meander through neighborhoods and the local park.

axn 2014-10-14 06:12

:unsure: Get an FM radio, maybe?

jasong 2014-10-14 13:19

[QUOTE=Primeinator;385144]Even if you had a cell phone you would still need a good data plan (or unlimited) as streaming songs is going to deplete your data very quickly. I'm not sure of any toy that does what you ask. I think you are going to need some cellular device unless you are graced to live in some utopian future where there is free WiFi as you meander through neighborhoods and the local park.[/QUOTE]
Spotify doesn't require an always on connection, their DRM allows you to listen to songs while disconnected from the Internet.

Dubslow 2014-10-14 14:56

[QUOTE=jasong;385165]their DRM allows you[/QUOTE]

:judge:

There but for the grace of [strike]God[/strike] Spotify go I...

Uncwilly 2014-10-14 15:49

[QUOTE=jasong;385165]Spotify doesn't require an always on connection, their DRM allows you to listen to songs while disconnected from the Internet.[/QUOTE]Craigslist for a used i pod touch.

Primeinator 2014-10-14 16:47

[QUOTE=jasong;385165]Spotify doesn't require an always on connection, their DRM allows you to listen to songs while disconnected from the Internet.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Good to know!

jasong 2014-10-16 04:53

[QUOTE=Uncwilly;385171]Craigslist for a used i pod touch.[/QUOTE]
ooh, good idea, I'll look into it.

jasong 2014-10-16 05:14

It appears I was wrong about offline listening, either there's a difficult to understand way to save songs locally or you can only listen to songs you already own locally.

This confuses me since it says you can have up to 30 days of offline listening before you have to reconnect. Or maybe they have a different notion of what local means than I do. If they only think of songs you own as local(quite the bizarre definition, if this is correct) than I may have the files on my computer, but no way to prove it to myself except to go looking for them outside the app.