mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   GPU to 72 (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Future requests? (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=16727)

James Heinrich 2015-08-17 17:01

It actually just occurred to me that I should already have this kind of parsed data (count by range and factored bits, by date) available on mersenne.ca, since I need that data to generate the [url=http://www.mersenne.ca/graphs/]graphs[/url] that I do.

I'll take a peek at the data and see if I can come up with a poor approximation of mersenne.info's tables.

chalsall 2015-08-17 17:29

[QUOTE=James Heinrich;408171]I'll take a peek at the data and see if I can come up with a poor approximation of mersenne.info's tables.[/QUOTE]

And... I would be happy to provide you with the code which generates the tables, graphs etc. It's in Perl though; I know you and I have a disagreement about what the "P" stands for in LAMP (:smile:), but it should be trivial to host directly on a LAM[P|P] stack, or port...

To be perfectly honest, the rending side of things wasn't / isn't the issue -- it was the back-end server here in Barbados which did the spidering which suffered an unfortunate early death.

Mark Rose 2015-08-17 17:31

P is for Python, no?

science_man_88 2015-08-17 17:50

[QUOTE=Mark Rose;408175]P is for Python, no?[/QUOTE]

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle[/url]) suggest it's interchangeable nowadays but used to stand for : Linux operating system,Apache HTTP Server,MySQL relational database management system and PHP. but the picture on the right of the page shows perl, python, and PHP, mysql etc.

chalsall 2015-08-17 18:19

Just a small rant, if I may...

While I /can/ code in Python, I seriously dislike indentation being used for code structure. That (at least in my mind) is what curly brackets are for.

"I sentient programmer. You deterministic compiler. Do what I tell you to do, rather than forcing me to use an IDE to indent the code to YOUR liking. I accept the responsibility if you do /EXACTLY/ what I tell you to do.

(Please keep in mind, I'm old school. I still use VIM as my primary editor, and sometimes dream in C. When I want to conditionally remove a section of code by using "if (CONDITION) { [MANY LINES OF CODE] }" I feel I should be able to without the compiler telling me "Tut tut! You didn't indent to my satisfaction. More tea dear while you try again?")

Mark Rose 2015-08-17 19:23

I actually like Python's pickiness with indentation. No more arguments about where the curly braces go, or problems when someone has a three-space tabulator and indents things to match with spaces. I also use VIM. :)

James Heinrich 2015-08-17 19:23

[QUOTE=James Heinrich;408171]It actually just occurred to me that I should already have this kind of parsed data[/QUOTE]And upon closer inspection I realize I have something that's almost-but-not-quite that: I have data on the distribution of bitsize of known factors, not the distribution of TF for unfactored exponents. I could expand my data-collection, but it would make more sense to just run this off mersenne.org and pull from the real data. Perhaps when Aaron has some free time he can help me figure out the best way to pull that kind of data out, I can assemble a front-end once the data is available.

Dubslow 2015-08-17 19:40

Beat me to it :smile:

As for the indentation, it forces good style habits (i.e. is easier to read), as well as being simpler to write and learn.

Disabling code by putting it in an always-false conditional is (arguably) a bad habit. If you want to pretend that code isn't there, comment it, don't leave it sitting there looking for all the world like legitimate code if you either fail to notice or forget the false conditional.

(Also what's this nonsense about IDEs? :razz:)

chalsall 2015-08-17 20:05

[QUOTE=Dubslow;408183]Disabling code by putting it in an always-false conditional is (arguably) a bad habit. If you want to pretend that code isn't there, comment it, don't leave it sitting there looking for all the world like legitimate code if you either fail to notice or forget the false conditional.[/QUOTE]

LOL...

Who said anything about always-false in the conditional?

On the other hand, there are those who sometimes remove sections of code temporarily.

Python has no such option. You can either remove the code without the reminder of what was originally there, or you indent around the conditional, or you add a hash mark for each line.

Regardless, you are at the sufferance of the editor / compiler. Something I'm not willing to do.

Dubslow 2015-08-17 20:38

[QUOTE=chalsall;408184]

Regardless, you are at the sufferance of the compiler.[/QUOTE]

That's true of any language, including Perl.

chalsall 2015-08-17 20:44

[QUOTE=Dubslow;408186]That's true of any language, including Perl.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

On the other hand, no other compiler (that I know of) gets upset because of indentation.