mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   GPU to 72 (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Future requests? (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=16727)

Madpoo 2015-06-10 02:23

[QUOTE=chalsall;403660]Please believe me, I'm as pissed off (if not more so) than others about this. I use(d) this tool / data source for my strategic planning.

Unfortunately the machine behind the work took more of a hit than expected. Also, I'm rather seriously busy at the moment, so I can't immediately jump in and start rebuilding the delta datasets which are fundemental to its functionality.

Next week I will reach out to Madpoo to discuss how to bring this back online.[/QUOTE]

The Primenet server itself is a GIMPS resource... if they approved it we could look at hosting some of that mersenne.info functionality, but it would depend somewhat on the underlying setup. Primenet runs PHP over IIS, with a MSSQL back-end. The code that makes up all the mersenne.info "goodness" could, theoretically, just be integrated into new mersenne.org reports, looking directly at the data.

If that setup is already PHP'ified, then it becomes simpler for sure.

New data structures or analysis on the back-end required to make it work could be more involved.

There could be other possible solutions to getting the useful bits of mersenne.info going somewhere, but I imagine it comes down to the complexity and whether it'd be an approved use of the Primenet server. That's above my pay grade. :smile:

snme2pm1 2015-08-12 07:03

[QUOTE=chalsall;403660]Please believe me, I'm as pissed off (if not more so) than others about this. I use(d) this tool / data source for my strategic planning.

Unfortunately the machine behind the work took more of a hit than expected. Also, I'm rather seriously busy at the moment, so I can't immediately jump in and start rebuilding the delta datasets which are fundemental to its functionality.

Next week I will reach out to Madpoo to discuss how to bring this back online.[/QUOTE]

Does it seem too hard to migrate the best aspects to PrimeNet?
I vaguely recall that Aaron intended to facilitate a means to grab any desired piece of history, but perhaps that doesn't do what you want.
In the absence of re-hosting some most useful aspects, would it not be more favourable to have mersenne.info kill the sick database and start afresh?
Is it not better to see close to correct yesterday information, with little history, in contrast to months old information purporting to be yesterdays numbers?
Edit: Current data with the absence of any history prior to yesterday would be a major improvement.

chalsall 2015-08-12 19:53

[QUOTE=snme2pm1;407728]Does it seem too hard to migrate the best aspects to PrimeNet?[/QUOTE]

To put on the record, I would very much appreciate it if this was available via PrimeNet.

Mersenne.info was mostly built for myself, and I exposed it for those who might be interested.

Sadly, the machine behind it died.

bloodIce 2015-08-13 20:14

How much of work is to make a new type of report? The user requests a range (there could be some defined ranges and the user puts an offset) and the report involves how many exponents are left and some table with their bitlevel. This should not be that much of server load (query+some post-processing), considering also that not everyone is interested.

chalsall 2015-08-13 22:41

[QUOTE=bloodIce;407865]How much of work is to make a new type of report? The user requests a range (there could be some defined ranges and the user puts an offset) and the report involves how many exponents are left and some table with their bitlevel. This should not be that much of server load (query+some post-processing), considering also that not everyone is interested.[/QUOTE]

More work than I have time for.

Perhaps others have cycles.

bloodIce 2015-08-15 08:01

[QUOTE]More work than I have time for.[/QUOTE]
I have meant that mersenne.org could have such report after a direct database query, I do not understand why you should do it, chalsall?

chalsall 2015-08-15 21:21

[QUOTE=bloodIce;408000]I have meant that mersenne.org could have such report after a direct database query, I do not understand why you should do it, chalsall?[/QUOTE]

That's exactly my point as well.

Madpoo 2015-08-16 17:30

[QUOTE=chalsall;408040]That's exactly my point as well.[/QUOTE]

For myself it might be a bit before I'd have any chance to work on adding a new report (vacation schedule and some upcoming work projects). I don't know if George or James would be up for it any sooner.

Plus I think I was a little confused about what was being asked for. :smile:

James Heinrich 2015-08-17 01:03

I don't really have a clue what's being asked for, and I'm not that smart when it comes to writing stuff to query the mersenne.org database, we speak different languages. :unsure:

alpertron 2015-08-17 01:43

It would be nice to have something similar to the (broken) Gimps Visualization tool at [url]http://www.mersenne.info/trial_factored_tabular_data/0/0/[/url]

There you can see the progress of trial factorization on Mersenne numbers without known factor. You can see for different ranges of the exponents from 0M - 1000M the trial factoring done expressed in bits. You can zoom in by clicking in the numbers on the table.

LaurV 2015-08-17 05:05

Yes. On the provided link, you click "change" on the left side on the "views" tag and click "3 months ago" or "6 months ago", i.e. a date which precedes the time when the things became totally broken. And you can see what we need. Moreover, there is no much code to write, as Chris has already the old code, and I believe he has nothing against passing it over to the new guy :razz:, so it is only to see where it was broken, and repair the links/db queues -- the things started to go wrong when the primenet started moving around from here to there, many other things (except the visu site) were broken too, remember, also things on James' site, etc. Methink is the same situation. A new <td> or <div> in the new layouts, and the spider (which was parsing the old primenet pages right) went MIA. Part of it may be solved by patches in the primenet webpage. (dream on!)

Well, it should be very nice to have it back. I would put some effort into it myself, but unfortunately I am not a web programmer, I can understand the things I read, but I have no experience in doing them myself...