mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Hardware (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Stability Test for Cool'n'Quiet and Power-Supply (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=2464)

Mark.S 2004-05-12 08:48

Stability Test for Cool'n'Quiet and Power-Supply

I am sure you all agree that Prime95 and Memtest are the most important tools for hardware-testing.

But now there is new a problem i am dealing with:
AMDs Cool and Quiet Feature integrated in the new Athlon64..there is no way to test the stability of Cool and Quiet yet...and believe me, there are a lot of problems with that feature.

A good solution would be a very small enhancement to the prime95-stresstest:
two user-defined variables x and y
--> do nothing for x ms every y ms
so prime95 can switch between idle and full load several times a second, this would put maximum stress to the power-supply and would force Cool'n'Quiet to switch the prozessor P-State very often.

what do you think about this?

Dresdenboy 2004-05-12 09:31

[QUOTE=Mark.S]But now there is new a problem i am dealing with:
AMDs Cool and Quiet Feature integrated in the new Athlon64..there is no way to test the stability of Cool and Quiet yet...and believe me, there are a lot of problems with that feature.[/QUOTE]Which ones? I'm just interested as an A64 owner.

MrHappy 2004-05-12 09:40

[QUOTE=Mark.S]--> do nothing for x ms every y ms
so prime95 can switch between idle and full load several times a second, this would put maximum stress to the power-supply and would force Cool'n'Quiet to switch the prozessor P-State very often.

what do you think about this?[/QUOTE]
you may use the throttle feature during a LL-test
->
[Quote]
you can add this line to prime.ini:
Throttle=n
where n is the number of milliseconds to sleep after each iteration.[/quote]

Mark.S 2004-05-12 09:56

[QUOTE=Dresdenboy]Which ones? I'm just interested as an A64 owner.[/QUOTE]

a lot of mainboards have trouble running cool'n'quiet with more than one dimm installed (e.g. shuttle an50r)

and you need a very high quality PSU because of the changes in power consumption (same problem was with the "halt" command of the athlon xp)

Mark.S 2004-05-12 10:02

[QUOTE=MrHappy]you may use the throttle feature during a LL-test
->[/QUOTE]

this throttling feature sounds interesting, but i believe its not good enough.
how long is 1 iteration?

i am still trying to find out how fast cool'n'quiet is...maximum stress would mean that prime95 pauses just long enough as cool'n'quiet needs to become active...

Dresdenboy 2004-05-12 10:16

[QUOTE=Mark.S]a lot of mainboards have trouble running cool'n'quiet with more than one dimm installed (e.g. shuttle an50r)

and you need a very high quality PSU because of the changes in power consumption (same problem was with the "halt" command of the athlon xp)[/QUOTE]Ah, ok. The low quality of cheap PSUs is a general problem. At least, BeQuiet PSU + K8V doesn't cause problems.