mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Unhappy Me thread (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=7025)

xilman 2007-01-25 19:13

The Unhappy Me thread

I've had an interesting last 36 hours.

Around 08:30 yesterday a workman chopped through a 12kV power line, taking out much of Cambridge University.

Our systems are UPS protected but they are rather difficult to shut down automatically. There was a guy in the office, but he never thought to shut them down manually and all the batteries were flat by the time I arrived.

I came in this morning to bring everything up again, only to be told that the main departmental switch had fried and we had no external net connections at all. Our systems came up with some coaxing and minor disk repairs. The computer service replaced our switch by lunchtime. We then had to wait a few hours for all the backlogged spam to be delivered before network traffic returned to normal.

Yesterday was when the monthly dump of 150G or so of data gets written to tape. It had to be postponed to today. 2/3 or so of the way through (or several hours after starting) my machine from where the backup was running threw a wobbly and had to be rebooted, thereby killing the backup. That has to be redone tomorrow.

To cap it all on the way home tonight and about 40 minutes ago, I was sitting on my bike, stationary, at the motorway junction amd waiting for on-coming traffic to clear, when a guy in a car came smashing into the back of me. No damage done to me but one of the bike's panniers is in several pieces. That will be an expensive insurance claim for him because custom fibre-glass luggage for Honda 1100cc Pan-Europeans does not come cheap.

Oh well.

Paul

ewmayer 2007-01-25 19:24

[QUOTE=xilman;96992]To cap it all on the way home tonight and about 40 minutes ago, I was sitting on my bike, stationary, at the motorway junction amd waiting for on-coming traffic to clear, when a guy in a car came smashing into the back of me. No damage done to me but one of the bike's panniers is in several pieces. That will be an expensive insurance claim for him because custom fibre-glass luggage for Honda 1100cc Pan-Europeans does not come cheap.[/QUOTE]

Neither do vague-but-agonizing symptoms of whiplash which a good slip-and-fall lawyer has had documented by a friendly open-minded physician - the fact that he and said MD are longtime golfing buddies being, of course, entirely coincidental. :whistle:

paulunderwood 2007-01-25 20:04

I hope you are okay, Paul. Is that the usual bout of three pieces of bad luck?

Mystwalker 2007-01-25 20:28

Last Friday, I had a hard time travelling home to my family. All trains in this region were still unusable due to storm Kyrill, so I had to rent a car and use a taxi afterwards for the remaining ~30km.
In the evening, I finally arrived at the train station were I've parked the car (the one of my girlfriend, to be specific). I was happy that I only had to drive one more hour... well, at least if the car still had its front wheels. And I doubt that the storm blew them away.
My father-in-law to-be had to bring two summer tyres, and we had to buy new* wheel bolts to replace the stolen ones.
We were home just a bit before midnight...

*The repair shop removed fitting ones from a car wreck.

xilman 2007-01-25 21:04

[QUOTE=paulunderwood;96997]I hope you are okay, Paul. Is that the usual bout of three pieces of bad luck?[/QUOTE]I'm fine. I was stationary with my feet on the road when the collision happened. I was still stationary with my feet on the road immediately afterwards. Apart from the pannier, there is no obvious damage anywhere else to the bike though it will be easier to tell in daylight.

It's the hassle which ensues that I find most objectionable. Having to ride over to the bike shop, get estimates for the repair bill, inform my insurance company and so forth.

Luckily the other guy admitted he was at fault ("my wheels just locked") and I have full contact details, etc.

Paul

Xyzzy 2007-01-26 04:35

[SIZE=2]Well, if you had thought beforehand and analyzed today's date in relation to the unseasonably warm winter we are having, and cross referenced these facts to various obscure prophecies in the kabbalah[/SIZE][SIZE=2], you would have known today was scheduled to be a challenging one.

One [I]obvious[/I] clue is the date: 25 Jan 07

Or, 20070125, which factors to 5x5x5x307x523, which, if added, are [/SIZE]£[SIZE=2]845, which is the cost of new panniers for your moped.

[/SIZE][SIZE=2] Next time, do your homework.

:unsure:
[/SIZE]

moo 2007-01-28 19:22

Define Irony....

Uncwilly 2007-01-29 14:23

[QUOTE=moo;97210]Define Irony....[/QUOTE]
From [I]'From the Earth to the Moon'[/I]: "I'm not a big fan of irony".

Flatlander 2007-02-14 16:17

The simplist device on my Athlon PC (the ON button!) just failed. :sad:
It repeatedly started the PC until the motherboard failed. While I was trying to find the fault I replaced the CPU heatsink and fan. It didn't sit properly and my CPU fried! :blush:
If anyone wants to send me some money I will give you my details. :wink:

vaio 2007-02-16 10:41

Is that a k7 rig?

Let me know if an Abit NF7-s and mobile Athlon would be of interest. :smile:
Good for 2.5 ghz

moo 2007-02-17 00:33

[QUOTE=Uncwilly;97240]From [I]'From the Earth to the Moon'[/I]: "I'm not a big fan of irony".[/QUOTE]

hmm i think i have read that book do you have an author.

rogue 2007-02-17 03:50

[QUOTE=moo;98779]hmm i think i have read that book do you have an author.[/QUOTE]

Jules Verne

Flatlander 2007-02-17 18:12

[quote=vaio;98708]Is that a k7 rig?

Let me know if an Abit NF7-s and mobile Athlon would be of interest. :smile:
Good for 2.5 ghz[/quote]
Thanks for the offer! I have decided to buy the same hardware from EBay, apparently it is a requirement to reactivating Windoze. I think its the least expensive option.

Uncwilly 2007-02-19 20:09

[QUOTE=Uncwilly;97240]From [I]'From the Earth to the Moon'[/I]: "I'm not a big fan of irony".[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=moo;98779]hmm i think i have read that book do you have an author.[/QUOTE]
I was refering to the television mini-series now available on DVD. An engineer/technician says that line.

mfgoode 2007-02-23 16:11

Warning

Warning from ewmayer Post 20 mathematical anecdotes.

Quote:
Mally, if you insist on continuing to spout nonsense and irrelevant piffle in reply to EVERY SINGLE NEW POST in this and other threads, your immoderation is going to fall victim to the kind of board moderation which the edit-ees tend to decry as "heavy handed" and which we try to avoid around here in the interest of open discourse. Your posting habits are more and more resembling those of certain folks who wound up in exile.

Consider this fair warning.
Un quote.

Mally

Uncwilly 2008-10-13 16:56

Several of my borged machines are now permanently offline. The building that that they were in has burned to the ground. The facility was over-run by a fire that was being driven by 50+ mph winds.

I personally have seen winds at that facility (my old work site and where I was going to be moved to in ~2-3 months) that were off the charts (flat lined off scale above).

This will negatively impact my standings on the V5 server rankings.

Uncwilly 2008-10-13 18:01

1 Attachment(s)
Further update, the local firehouse is within the evacuation area. Thousands (maybe 10's of) have been evacuated.

The attached is a local weather station. The winds are currently gusty and variable.

ixfd64 2008-10-15 03:42

Ouch. :sad:

Does this have anything to do with the recent California wildfires?

cheesehead 2008-10-15 23:27

[quote=ixfd64;145434]Does this have anything to do with the recent California wildfires?[/quote]Yes. The Santa Ana season preceding the autumn return of rains is often a tense time in southern California. As I recall, the conditions then tend to set people on edge as well as dry out the tinder, and L.A. basin smog can be at its worst that time of year when there isn't enough wind to blow it out to sea.

MooooMoo 2008-12-17 09:53

I lost a mile race (1.609 kilometers) to a 10 year old two weeks ago:

[url]http://www.dyestatcal.com/?pg=dyestatcal-2009-Track--Results-December-2008-05-ELAC-All-Comers[/url]

[quote]From the youth category, 10 year old Bryan Pluma of Whittier ran a formidable 5:08.
Mile
9. Bryan Pluma 5:08
11. Michael Kwok 5:19[/quote]
Note to self: Running a fast mile requires speed. Maybe not sprint speed, but jogging half an hour every other day and walking from one class to the next won't cut it.

Note to anyone who cares: I was born in 1988, so I was double his age at the time of the race.

Orgasmic Troll 2008-12-29 05:51

I witnessed my first mugging today.

It was on my street, 3 blocks south of where I live.

rogue 2008-12-29 13:02

[QUOTE=Orgasmic Troll;155542]I witnessed my first mugging today.

It was on my street, 3 blocks south of where I live.[/QUOTE]

That's too bad. Was there anything you could do about it?

Orgasmic Troll 2008-12-29 13:23

[QUOTE=rogue;155580]That's too bad. Was there anything you could do about it?[/QUOTE]

in hindsight, I probably could have gone back and helped the guy they attacked, but it was three guys, and I didn't know if they had any weapons. Self-preservation kicked in and I crossed the street and tried to look like I saw nothing.

rogue 2008-12-29 17:07

[QUOTE=Orgasmic Troll;155582]in hindsight, I probably could have gone back and helped the guy they attacked, but it was three guys, and I didn't know if they had any weapons. Self-preservation kicked in and I crossed the street and tried to look like I saw nothing.[/QUOTE]

It's a sticky situation. I wonder how many people see something of this nature everyday and feel that they are unable to change the outcome. I'm not implying that you could have, but it would be nice if the average observer knew how to respond to these situations, i.e. call the police, yell for help, etc. I certainly don't know how I would have responded.

Orgasmic Troll 2008-12-29 17:50

[QUOTE=rogue;155612]It's a sticky situation. I wonder how many people see something of this nature everyday and feel that they are unable to change the outcome. I'm not implying that you could have, but it would be nice if the average observer knew how to respond to these situations, i.e. call the police, yell for help, etc. I certainly don't know how I would have responded.[/QUOTE]

My first concern was not getting hit with a stray bullet.

My second concern was not getting hit with an aimed bullet.

My third concern was not getting beat up for seeing who the guys were.

My fourth concern was for the guy who got mugged.

The guy yelled out (although it was "f*** you" and not "help!") but there weren't enough people around to do anything. I don't know what good calling the cops would have done, since I actively tried not to see who the guys were.

I think that anything that I could have done that would have been helpful or useful would have also been extremely dangerous.

Uncwilly 2008-12-29 20:07

[QUOTE=Orgasmic Troll;155542]I witnessed my first mugging today.

It was on my street, 3 blocks south of where I live.[/QUOTE]
So that was you, thanks a heap.:squash:

JK

rogue 2009-09-29 13:38

Can I sue Sarah Palin for her memoir, "Going Rogue"? She gives us "rogues" a bad name.

rogue 2009-10-22 00:02

The hard drive in my spare PowerMac G5 bit the dust tonight. Fortunately nothing of importance was on it. I intend to replace the drive, then sell it. I wasn't using it for much anyways.

rogue 2009-11-16 13:44

A friendship that I had for years ended this weekend. The person in question is very selfish. I overlooked for a long time because they needed a lot of support due to crises in their life, but when I needed something from them, they turned their back to me. Se la vie.

CRGreathouse 2009-11-16 14:55

[QUOTE=rogue;196036]Se[/QUOTE]

C'est :smile:

__HRB__ 2009-11-17 02:38

"Don't worry be happy"

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYZUhSeRYc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYZUhSeRYc[/URL]

davieddy 2009-11-17 09:46

[quote=rogue;196036]A friendship that I had for years ended this weekend. The person in question is very selfish. I overlooked for a long time because they needed a lot of support due to crises in their life, but when I needed something from them, they turned their back to me. Se la vie.[/quote]
I sincerely empathize.

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6U-TGahwvs[/URL]

David

xilman 2009-11-22 08:10

My father died earlier this morning. He was 76.

Paul

Jeff Gilchrist 2009-11-22 11:31

[QUOTE=xilman;196631]My father died earlier this morning. He was 76.[/QUOTE]

Very sorry to hear that Paul. Our sympathy to you and your family.

philmoore 2009-11-23 04:10

Paul, our condolences. 76 is too early, for sure.

petrw1 2009-11-23 05:13

Very sorry to hear about your Father, Paul

fivemack 2009-11-23 11:43

I'm sorry for your loss, Paul

Uncwilly 2009-11-23 20:05

I too would like to extend my condolences.

ET_ 2009-11-23 21:14

I'm sorry for your loss, Paul.

rogue 2009-11-25 16:51

I put my cat down today. I had her for more than 15 years. I put down my other cat last year at about this time. I had him for about 14 years. The house will be very different without any pets.

Uncwilly 2009-11-25 17:22

[QUOTE=rogue;196992]I put my cat down today. I had her for more than 15 years. I put down my other cat last year at about this time. I had him for about 14 years. The house will be very different without any pets.[/QUOTE]I would suggest you adopt a "pound kitty", with no regard to weight or value.

rogue 2009-11-25 20:01

[QUOTE=Uncwilly;196996]I would suggest you adopt a "pound kitty", with no regard to weight or value.[/QUOTE]

There won't be any new pets for a while. My wife and I are probably going to move in the next few months. Her sister is highly allergic, so another cat is unlikely. I'm not a dog person and other animals don't do anything for me. If I were to get another cat, it would probably be one that is hypoallergenic, which I would probably not find at the animal shelter.

petrw1 2009-11-25 21:13

[QUOTE=rogue;197017]There won't be any new pets for a while. My wife and I are probably going to move in the next few months. Her sister is highly allergic, so another cat is unlikely. I'm not a dog person and other animals don't do anything for me. If I were to get another cat, it would probably be one that is hypoallergenic, which I would probably not find at the animal shelter.[/QUOTE]

Goldfish???

jasonp 2009-11-27 02:45

Best wishes to you, Paul.

petrw1 2009-12-28 21:32

My GIMPS "Old Gray Mare" is finished ...

My first PC to ever turn in a GIMPS result (September 2003) stopped working a couple weeks ago. After the Christmas excitement and a few of my own attempts to resusitate it I took it to the PC doctor.

He said the MB has several swoolen caps (capacitors).

i.e. the MB is dead.

Alas this PIV 2.4 Ghz PC ran Prime95 24 hours a day for over 6 years (almost 2,000,000 seconds) and produced over 2,000 Ghz/Days of work.

ixfd64 2010-04-09 06:10

I had to "decommission" a dual-core laptop today.

The computer didn't really belong to me; it was the property of my father's company. The laptop was in my possession for almost two years, but my father wanted to give it to a co-worker whose computer recently crashed. There's a good chance that my father will change jobs in the not-too-distant future, so I probably won't get the laptop back.

Because I will no longer have access to that computer, I thought it would be the best idea to remove Prime95 early on. Fortunately, I was able to successfully transfer the remaining assignments to my MacBook Pro.

rogue 2010-04-23 00:41

Have a Crappy Birthday

It was a less than optimal birthday for me. My wife and I are in the process of selling our house as we are looking for a four bedroom. We would like to take advantage of the tax credit, low interest rates, and our buying power to upgrade since it is a buyer's market.

We had a number of showings in the past week, a few of them were second showings. I had expected an offer or two by today because we were supposedly "top of the list" for those potential buyers. Our house is in immaculate condition. Being perfectionists (both my wife and I) we have kept the house in great condition meaning that someone moving in won't have to do any major work outside of potentially replacing carpeting in one room. We have yet to get an offer. The potential buyers want things that our house doesn't have, such as a first floor master bedroom or a master bath. These are things I can do nothing about. If such things are so important, why would these people want a second showing?

In the interim, since we are expecting an offer, we have been looking at homes. Of the fifty or so homes in our area within our price range with four bedrooms, only two really strike us as what we want. We have been disappointed in the lack of features in most of the other houses. They have really small kitchens or lack a master bath or have really poor layouts on the main floor. Some are too old or have a short basement (both of us are tall). Anyways I found out today that both of the houses we are interested in have accepted offers as of today. This means that even if we get an offer on our house that there is nothing that really appeals to us in the market.

I should probably amend what I just said. One of the two homes does not have an offer yet (that I am aware of, but someone else is interested), but it would cost in the range of $20K to fix the problems it has this year and in buying it I might not have the cash to address those problems. I can't lock in a rate (which is low now, but is going up) because the bank (it is a foreclosed property) refuses to close before July 1st (thus eliminating the tax credit).

My wife was interested in two other homes, but one now has an accepted offer and the other has restrictions that prevent us from having an above ground pool.

Personally the tax credit isn't too important to me, but since my current home could be considered a "starter house", I expected an offer to a first time buyer. If I don't get any offers by April 30th, then I don't expect any in the near future. Part of me doesn't really want to get an offer because there is nothing we are interested in. Part of me now wants to get out of this house because I feel it is unsell-able even though it is 10% below assessed value and below median market value for comparable homes.

To top all of this off, my lawn mower, a two year old Toro, decided to spring a significant gas leak. I haven't even used it yet this spring, but now will be without it for at least a week. I'm certain than any showings this weekend will be helped by the unkempt grass...

I can say one thing about this birthday, I am no longer 29, but fortunately I haven't reached 30 yet either...

Uncwilly 2010-04-23 01:49

[QUOTE=rogue;212883]It was a less than optimal birthday for me.[/QUOTE]My most recent birthday, I was very sick with food poisoning. Not of much use to dog or man. A few years back I was woken by the police pounding on my door, before 3 a.m. Looking through the peephole and seeing "the king's men" waiting for you to open is not how I pictured the day going.

Primeinator 2010-04-23 22:44

M53101141 is not prime :(

rogue 2010-05-13 12:51

As I relayed above, my house is on the market. That might be ending shortly. I work up this morning to find water in my basement. :ouch2:

The water came in through a window well that didn't have a cover (and hasn't had one in a number of years). I will put a cover over it, but I don't know if that will be enough. I have never had water in my basement (in 11 years). We have had a lot of rain here in the past few days, but nothing unusual for spring. The weathermen have stated that we have only had two inches of rain since Tuesday (one inch in the wee hours of this morning). That cannot be right. With flash flood watches, covered roads, and a lot of standing water, we must have had at least two inches this morning alone.

Anyways, we need to talk to some people to see what is necessary to address this problem. If I'm lucky, it will be as inexpensive as the cover for the window well (which I just realized is named appropriately). It could be more expensive, such as excavating part of my lawn to introduce other methods of remediation. No matter what we do or have to do, it will make my house harder to sell. I'm thinking about taking it off the market for a year or more to fix the problem and know that it has been fixed.

There are two positives with this though. First, it isn't sewage. Second, if I had sold the house and this happened to the new owners, I would probably get sued, which happened to my wife after she sold her old house when we got married, but that is another story.

bsquared 2010-05-13 13:04

[QUOTE=rogue;214942]As I relayed above, my house is on the market. That might be ending shortly. I work up this morning to find water in my basement. :ouch2:
[/QUOTE]

You have my sympathy. This happened to my wife and I when we sold our first house, when the sump overflowed the weekend before the house was to be listed.

We were more lucky though, on several counts. First, the sump only overflowed because we were gone that weekend and I had left the sump pump unplugged (thus we knew the reason for the water). Second, there was very little damage since the area of the basement containing the sump was uncarpeted. And third, it was caused by a historic rainfall - 12+ inches in a span of 30 hours.

The house sold 48 hours after we listed it (this was circa 2007).

Uncwilly 2010-05-13 21:12

[QUOTE=rogue;214942]I have never had water in my basement (in 11 years). We have had a lot of rain here in the past few days, but nothing unusual for spring.[/QUOTE]The term "100 year flood" new to you?

Flatlander 2010-05-24 22:08

Martin Gardner died on Saturday. :down:

I think my copy of "Mathematical Puzzles and Diversions" eventually fell apart through my constant thumbing through.

Random Poster 2010-05-25 09:16

[quote=Flatlander;215989]Martin Gardner died on Saturday. :down:[/quote]
As has been discussed [URL="http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=13432"]in another thread[/URL].

Flatlander 2010-05-25 10:41

Ah, thanks. I have the Extra Stuff sub-forum collapsed. :smile:

Random Poster 2010-05-25 12:07

[quote=Flatlander;216056]Ah, thanks. I have the Extra Stuff sub-forum collapsed. :smile:[/quote]
How do you collapse subforums? Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find any obvious way to do it.

Flatlander 2010-05-25 12:33

1 Attachment(s)
The up/down arrows on the right.

Random Poster 2010-05-25 12:48

[quote=Flatlander;216072]The up/down arrows on the right.[/quote]
Thanks. Hovering the cursor over them shows "http://www.mersenneforum.org/#top" so I assumed they just go to the top of the forum list and never tried to click them. Not exactly the best feature of the forum software...

xilman 2010-08-01 11:07

Frumious systemcrash

My main machine caught a nasty dose of death in the wee hours of last Monday. As I was away from home, nothing could be done until my return yesterday. It looks like a mobo fault which has damaged the VGA output and rendered the disk unbootable.

A new machine is on order (AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, 8GB RAM, 2TB disk, GTX640 for CUDA) but won't be delivered for another couple of weeks. In the mean time, I'll be pretty much out of action for anything but email and web browsing.

With luck, I may be able to recover the data from the disk. Backups exist but there is inevitably some recent data not on them.

Oh well.

Paul

P.S. Like Rogue had, I also have water coming into the house (well, the garage) and need to get the roof fixed.

xilman 2010-08-04 19:21

[quote=xilman;223540]My main machine caught a nasty dose of death in the wee hours of last Monday. As I was away from home, nothing could be done until my return yesterday. It looks like a mobo fault which has damaged the VGA output and rendered the disk unbootable.

With luck, I may be able to recover the data from the disk. Backups exist but there is inevitably some recent data not on them.
[/quote]The fault is definitely with the mobo. Not sure yet whether to replace it. At least the disk was recoverable. :smile:

The system continues as a zombie. The data has been loaded into a VirtualBox guest where it will reside until the new machine is built.

Paul

ixfd64 2010-08-21 01:07

Someone broke into the family car two days ago and stole three prescription glasses, which were worth about $1,000 total. F$#%ing car burglars.

davieddy 2010-08-21 02:05

[quote=ixfd64;226431]Someone broke into the family car two days ago and stole three prescription glasses, which were worth about $1,000 total. F$#%ing car burglars.[/quote]

How can anyone be vain enough to spend that money on glasses?
Serves you right.

Blind Owl

sdbardwick 2010-08-21 03:30

[QUOTE=davieddy;226437]How can anyone be vain enough to spend that money on glasses?
Serves you right.

Blind Owl[/QUOTE]

Actually, $300 per pair is probably average for the States (insurance reimbursement/coverage is usually minimal). I spent $1200 for spectacles/sunglasses/reading glasses/contacts and exam the last time I went 5 years ago. Granted I'm -12 diopters so getting lenses with acceptable chromatic aberration is expensive (current lenses use Zeiss glass).

S485122 2010-08-21 07:21

[QUOTE=davieddy;226437]How can anyone be vain enough to spend that money on glasses?
Serves you right.

Blind Owl[/QUOTE]I have a modest -5 plus prebyopia and thus progressive lenses. Next time i will need new lenses they will cost me 500,00 EUR each. No vanity implied it is just the price of the lenses. Belgium is a country where the market in lenses is totally biased, due to cartel forming by all companies...

Jacob

xilman 2010-08-21 08:31

[quote=xilman;224071]The fault is definitely with the mobo. Not sure yet whether to replace it. At least the disk was recoverable. :smile:

The system continues as a zombie. The data has been loaded into a VirtualBox guest where it will reside until the new machine is built.[/quote]Another machine took ill yesterday. This one has lost its ethernet interface and the secondary IDE, which holds the optical drives. Might be reparable with a bit of luck.

It wouldn't have happened, yet, if the machine hadn't been shut down in anticipation of a scheduled 8-hour power outage which didn't happen. Perhaps I should call the power company to ask them what they were playing at.

Paul

mdettweiler 2010-08-21 18:06

[quote=S485122;226452]I have a modest -5 plus prebyopia and thus progressive lenses. Next time i will need new lenses they will cost me 500,00 EUR each. No vanity implied it is just the price of the lenses. Belgium is a country where the market in lenses is totally biased, due to cartel forming by all companies...

Jacob[/quote]
Might it be cheaper to mail order lenses from outside the country?

ixfd64 2010-08-21 18:31

For me, it's the frames that are expensive.

__HRB__ 2010-08-21 20:24

[quote=ixfd64;226497]For me, it's the frames that are expensive.[/quote]

In the mean time you can get LASIK (e.g. [URL="http://www.lasikvisioninstitute.us.com/lasikvision/unique/113422.php"]here[/URL]) for $1299 per eye. Also, a years supply of Acuvue Oasis contact lenses is roughly $50 (amortized) if you know how to game the system properly.

davieddy 2010-08-22 11:33

Goin up the country

(I might even leave the the USA)
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM5VZiaPvys[/URL]

Hi Butch,

[quote=ixfd64;226431]Someone broke into the family car two days ago and stole three prescription glasses, which were worth about $1,000 total. F$#%ing car burglars.[/quote]

[quote=davieddy;226437]How can anyone be vain enough to spend that money on glasses?
Serves you right.

Blind Owl[/quote]

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=audxGqo5AkQ[/URL]

[quote=ixfd64;226497]For me, it's the frames that are expensive.[/quote]
I rest my case.
Ask WBlipp about my eyesight, diplomacy and keeping one's
powder dry.

I'm better when I move,
Sundance

davieddy 2010-08-23 13:01

[quote=__HRB__;226514]In the mean time you can get LASIK (e.g. [URL="http://www.lasikvisioninstitute.us.com/lasikvision/unique/113422.php"]here[/URL]) for $1299 per eye. Also, a years supply of Acuvue Oasis contact lenses is roughly $50 (amortized) if you know how to game the system properly.[/quote]
"I've got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals".

rogue 2010-08-23 18:28

My main workhorse computer at home (a "vintage" PowerMac G5 from 2004) had a coolant leak and is now available as parts. I'm going to buy a used one so that I can stuff my old HD in it. It will be a short term solution until I buy a new computer. Outside of craigslist (or eBay), can anyone recommend a good website to buy used hardware?

Primeinator 2010-08-24 05:20

I signed up for a rather ambitious course load and only realized today how difficult it is going to be

Organic Chemistry w/ lab and lab lecture
Embryology w/ lab
Molecular Genetics
Animal Physiology w/ lab

Only 4 courses but it comes out to 17 hours and all courses are 300 -level +

davieddy 2010-08-29 19:24

M24956203 is not prime

Shit happen (:

David

only_human 2010-09-14 15:38

Linda and I had a bit of a rough patch yesterday.
I do a bit of data entry and minor computer maintenance for my family's income tax business but the last check I received from the business was inadvertently unsigned (oh the bank had looked a bit squirrely at me as they slowly handed that unsigned business check back to me). I decided to bring my girlfriend along on this trip as I would be combining errands, pass by the family office (to fix the check), stop by the library, etc. and culminate in taking her to lunch (The Olive Garden this time. It was good)

Ulcerative colitis compels me to make any restaurant forays my last stop before scurrying home.

Anyway, my first stop was to buy something at Kmart and I brought my sweetheart with me into the store because decrepitude is setting in for her and this is a way I get her to do a little walking. Upon trying to pay for a single item and leave the store I entered a state of poorly managed anger as the register rang up my item at 50% higher cost than the shelf pricing. The cashier then entered some strange holding pattern halfway between her register and the customer service desk and was completely unresponsive to anything I said to her. Basically I was asking advice for some way to sit my girlfriend down because she is diabetic and we'd mismanaged her levels and she was entering a moderately serious low sugar crash.

I don't handle conflicting objectives well in charged situations and I couldn't think of or see any place I could place my girlfriend while staying near the register to complete the transaction assuming the cashier would return, etc. There was a substantial queue behind me and I was feeling a bit of pressure about that too. Linda correctly assessed that she would be unable to get to the car to sit down on her own, but I had already swiped my credit card into the point-of-sale equipment and at a minimum I wanted the cashier to return so that I could be sure that the credit card information would be cleared if I left after canceling the purchase transaction. I gave up and walked my girlfriend out of the store and hoped for the best.

After completing the rest of my errands and having lunch, we returned home. I then learned that Kmart sends email receipt confirmations of purchases; I'm not sure if it was via the store loyalty card program or whatnot -- anyway in my email box was a receipt for $108 of merchandise charged to my card (perhaps by the next patron in line). I've spoken to customer service at the store and the credit card company and now I must wait for this activity to be fully processed by my credit card company and then dispute the transaction. Gah! This is way too much effort for what was intended to be a quick run into the store to buy a package of underwear.
[quote=Xyzzy;229736][URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095953/"]K-Mart sucks.[/URL][/quote][URL]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095953/quotes?qt0192563[/URL]

Xyzzy 2010-09-14 15:44

[URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095953/"]K-Mart sucks.[/URL]

only_human 2010-09-20 16:57

[quote=Xyzzy;229736][URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095953/"]K-Mart sucks.[/URL][/quote]Well in my case, I am happy with the the efforts of the manager of the store to understand the circumstances, follow-up, undo the charges to my credit card for items I did not receive, and personally apologize for the situation and circumstances that lead up to the problems.

My hand waving was limited to bringing in a copy of the spurious charges to the store, and a private negative feedback online to the transaction feedback link for this transaction.

That was sufficient to receive a few follow-up calls in which I answered questions and we tracked and confirmed the spurious charges to my card. On Friday, all the spurious charges were reversed off my credit card. Today (Monday), I received a further call from Kmart owner, Sears, confirming that things were resolved to my satisfaction, I had received an apology, and the problem response could be closed.

It may not be germane to follow-up an unhappy me item with a resolution recap but I do not wish to besmirch their name(s) when my problems have been resolved.

Flatlander 2010-09-22 11:47

Drove through some country lanes the other day and saw 5 dead badgers. :yucky:

I did think about bringing one home for my daughter who collects animal skulls! Imagine the stink.

Flatlander 2010-09-23 10:36

From another thread,
[QUOTE]PS did those badgers have TB, road killed or culled?

Let me know how they taste.

David[/QUOTE]
All at the side of the road so I assume they were hit. One on the way to Tunbridge Wells, one on the way back. But three large adults all within 100m at Mayfield.
They taste a bit like panda.

Uncwilly 2010-09-23 13:22

1 Attachment(s)
When I drove through Texas, I never saw a live Armadillo (they were all wheels up on the side of the road). Must be the same for badgers.

[QUOTE=Flatlander;231079]They taste a bit like panda.[/QUOTE]Agreed.
[attach]5721[/attach]

But, they don't taste as good as moa or dodo, now that's good eatin'.

Xyzzy 2010-09-23 20:21

1 Attachment(s)
:unsure:

davieddy 2010-09-25 00:39

[QUOTE=Flatlander;231079]They taste a bit like panda.[/QUOTE]

:smile:
That is so funny, and completely herbivore/carnivore,
hunter/conservationist neutral!

David

davieddy 2010-10-30 10:13

My favourite weekend of the year (NOT)

Clocks go back
Trick or treat
Fireworks

David

cheesehead 2010-10-30 19:58

[QUOTE=Flatlander;230866]Drove through some country lanes the other day and saw 5 dead badgers. :yucky:

I did think about bringing one home for my daughter who collects animal skulls! Imagine the stink.[/QUOTE]Around here, we see dead raccoons during summer months. I happened to drive by one lying on the median twice a week for a while. After one week the swelling was noticeable, and after two weeks it was balloonishly round and enlarged.

The next time I passed, it was over on the shoulder ... deflated.

only_human 2010-11-05 21:05

[QUOTE=Xyzzy;231138]:unsure:[/QUOTE]
Why glum about this?

This from my peripatetic reading just today:
[QUOTE]The point of the game is that it is very easy to spot which list comes from flipping the real coin and which comes from the imagined coin [...] First I looked at the maximum run of heads or tails [...]the probability of a run of 5 in 30 flips is almost two thirds [...] most people never ascribe a run of 5 in 30 flips because it seems to be too deliberate to be random [...] When imagining coin flips, our brains tend to alternate outcomes much more frequently than actually occurs in a truly random sequence -- after a couple of heads, our instinct is to compensate and imagine an outcome of tails, even though the chance of heads is still just as likely. Here, the gambler's fallacy appears. True randomness has no memory of what came before[/QUOTE] [I]Here's looking at Euclid[/I] by Alex Bellos, pg. 225 ISBN 978-1-4165-8825-2

henryzz 2010-11-09 17:46

Firefox crashed opening a text file attachment in notepad and it's folder in windows explorer. It eventually started both dozens of times until it ran out of memory(on a 6GB system!!).:no:

Xyzzy 2010-11-09 20:16

[QUOTE]Why glum about this?[/QUOTE]That was from one of the Troll's homework. For some reason we think it sounds wrong.

The last time we talked about this topic here we got a real bad headache.

[URL]http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=3371[/URL]

Brian-E 2010-11-09 20:44

[QUOTE=Xyzzy;236305]That was from one of the Troll's homework. For some reason we think it sounds wrong.[ ... ][/QUOTE]
It sounds wrong to me too [I]but only if the question expected a "correct" answer that Joe made the data up.[/I]
If the examiner was looking for an answer that either data set could have been produced randomly and, in the second part of the question, comments about measuring randomness like in the other thread you link, then that would be alright, wouldn't it?
Did the Troll get the homework back with comments?

Xyzzy 2010-11-09 21:37

[QUOTE]It sounds wrong to me too [I]but only if the question expected a "correct" answer that Joe made the data up.[/I][/QUOTE]We believe that this is what the teacher (Troll1) was asking. (The Troll children are taught at home.)

[quote]If the examiner was looking for an answer that either data set could have been produced randomly and, in the second part of the question, comments about measuring randomness like in the other thread you link, then that would be alright, wouldn't it?[/quote]Troll3 is in, we think, fourth grade, so we doubt it has delved into math that deep. Troll3 did seem quite pleased with the answer, though.

[quote]Did the Troll get the homework back with comments?[/quote]We queried Troll1 about this question but all we received was a litany of grunts and a menacing stare, so we dropped the subject.

KingKurly 2010-12-27 01:11

Someone poached my LL-D of M[SIZE=2]23389813, which had been assigned to me by PrimeNet. Not sure why someone would poach an LL-D that wasn't holding anything up; heck, I was running the test on one core of my Phenom II X6, it's not like it was on a P3 or something -- and even then. For what it's worth, I guess that number is successfully triple-checked. Does that mean I still get credit for a verified LL-D, even though the double-check had successfully been completed?

How, if at all, will this affect my stats? (LL-D ranking, overall GHz-days, etc)

I'll be nice and not post their name in public, but certainly anyone who wants to can look it up very easily. Perhaps this was some sort of misunderstanding/mistake on their part, so I don't want to launch an offensive or anything. Just sucks.
[/SIZE]

petrw1 2010-12-27 05:57

[QUOTE=KingKurly;243429]Does that mean I still get credit for a verified LL-D, even though the double-check had successfully been completed?

How, if at all, will this affect my stats? (LL-D ranking, overall GHz-days, etc)
[/QUOTE]

Looks like you got the credit and I am quite sure it will be counted as a DC so stats should NOT be affected at all.

[CODE]Verified LL 216DFDEF6C39091E by "kurly" on 2010-12-26 [/CODE]

KingKurly 2010-12-27 06:58

[QUOTE=petrw1;243447]Looks like you got the credit and I am quite sure it will be counted as a DC so stats should NOT be affected at all.

[CODE]Verified LL 216DFDEF6C39091E by "kurly" on 2010-12-26 [/CODE][/QUOTE]
So basically it was a triple-check where their triple check came in before my double check? :wink:

patrik 2010-12-27 10:08

[QUOTE=KingKurly;243429]Someone poached my LL-D of M[SIZE=2]23389813, which had been assigned to me by PrimeNet. Not sure why someone would poach an LL-D that wasn't holding anything up;[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Maybe that other person had it reserved before you, then let it expire (by not communicating regularly with primenet) but still completed the test.

KingKurly 2010-12-27 15:37

[QUOTE=patrik;243467]Maybe that other person had it reserved before you, then let it expire (by not communicating regularly with primenet) but still completed the test.[/QUOTE]Another good point, which is why I didn't want to necessarily call them out (by name) in public. I almost regret mentioning it now, but I guess no harm was done. I'm no longer an unhappy me, so at least some good came from my post. :smile:

I prefer to try to assume it was accidental rather than malicious, I just hadn't really considered the details of how such an accident could occur. Again, no big deal, it was just a bit of a bummer (perhaps that is a strong word for this situation?) not to see the usual "successfully completes double-check for . . ." but it does not diminish the value of the results in any way.

ixfd64 2010-12-29 04:21

My father just asked me to remove Prime95 from one of his computers.

I had three laptops that I regularly used. Since my father only had one, he asked me to give one of "my" laptops to him. This would not have been a problem, except he doesn't like having "unnecessary" programs running on the computers he's using.

It's not a huge loss, but I now have two less cores doing P-1 factoring.

I do have a more serious problem, though: some of the files did not transfer properly. When I went to copy the contents of the worktodo.txt file to my MacBook Pro, I noticed that it was not in my USB drive. Lesson learned: always make sure a file reached its destination before deleting the original.

FML.

Mini-Geek 2010-12-29 13:18

[QUOTE=ixfd64;243753]I do have a more serious problem, though: some of the files did not transfer properly. When I went to copy the contents of the worktodo.txt file to my MacBook Pro, I noticed that it was not in my USB drive. Lesson learned: always make sure a file reached its destination before deleting the original.[/QUOTE]
:sad:
The contents of the worktodo.txt can be recovered from looking at [url]http://www.mersenne.org/workload/[/url] and its source, (as long as you haven't already unreserved them) but unfortunately the save files are likely gone for good, so it doesn't matter much whether you recover the worktodo.txt or just unreserve them and get new work.

Flatlander 2011-02-06 18:39

[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12377862"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12377862[/URL] :cry:

I saw Thin Lizzy in the 80's. Can't remember the guitarist. (My ears are still ringing.)

xilman 2011-02-06 19:25

[QUOTE=Flatlander;251560][URL]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12377862[/URL] :cry:

I saw Thin Lizzy in the 80's. Can't remember the guitarist. (My ears are still ringing.)[/QUOTE]Time to down a jar of whiskey.