mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   GPU Computing (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   'A' vibrating GPU (..."never 'your' vibrating GPU") (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=26504)

storm5510 2021-02-17 19:24

'A' vibrating GPU (..."never 'your' vibrating GPU")

I seem to be having a vibration problem with my RTX 2080. Once the fans reach a certain speed, the vibration begins. I can vary to speed with Afterburner. Drop the speed slightly, and the vibration stops. Increasing the speed also stops the vibration. This vibration is very pronounced. I can hear it and feel it on my desk. My thinking is that there is a problem with one of the fans. Slightly out-of-balance would be my guess. I plan to remove the GPU and inspect the fans.

Opinions or ideas?

paulunderwood 2021-02-17 19:30

This could be [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance"]resonance[/URL]

Reseating it might solve the noise problem.

ZFR 2021-02-17 20:01

Are you sure it's the GPU itself that's vibrating?

I had an exactly same problem (vibrating sounds when GPU fan reaches a certain speed), and it turned out that a dust filter that was at the bottom of my case was a bit loose and resonance from the fan was causing it to vibrate. Simply pushing the dust filter tighter solved the whole issue.

storm5510 2021-02-18 00:40

Thank you both for your replies.

I intend to open it and check everything. It is overdue for a cleaning.

[U]Resonance[/U]: My father, being hard of hearing, began turning up the volume on his TV after my mother passed away. I was in his front yard one summer day and I heard something which sounded like morse-code. The source was one of the large windows on the side of his house. I went in, and without saying anything, I lightly touched the same window from the inside on a corner. It would vibrate at a certain sound frequency when he had his TV turned on. Above, or below, nothing. It did this in rapid, but varying, intervals. I was rather amazed.

Batalov 2021-02-18 01:24

This noise is the sound from ball bearing (or similar. needle bearing etc) support for the fans.

There are some (temporary) solutions: e.g. you carefully press into the center of the fan's head; and then repeat N times because it will fall back into the same regime. Every once in a while it will find a new position that will work silently for days or weeks. Replacing the fans is a tedious but a longer term solution. (Tedious because you have to find exactly proper replacement, sometimes wait for 5 weeks to get it from Alibaba... The less obscure your graphics card, the better chance that you will find a middleman who buys from Asia, and resells from a local address for a small delta in price.)

[URL="https://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=17898"]See also.[/URL]

storm5510 2021-02-19 18:13

I opened the case as I had planned. Other than some clogging of the air intake holes behind the front cover, the was not much dust inside.

I removed the GPU completely, then removed the fan assembly. I wanted to be able to clean both sides of the fan blades with an old toothbrush, including the leading edges. There was little in the heat-sink below the fans. I reassembled everything and started the machine. It started without difficulty.

I use [I]Afterburner[/I] to control the power and fans. I generally keep the power set to 90% of capacity. I use a custom fan profile also. I have it set to elevate the fan speed slightly. Before the cleaning, I could feel a slight and brief vibration as I cycled the profile on and off. After the cleaning, I repeated the switching of the fan profile on and off again. There was no vibration of any kind.

So, it may have been the cleaning and/or the removal and re-seating of the GPU. Either way, the result was successful.

I thank each of you for your insights. :smile:

storm5510 2021-02-20 19:06

I found the vibration had returned this morning, but to a lesser degree. With everything running, I very lightly pressed on the center hub of each fan, with the assistance of a round mirror and a flashlight. The center fan produced a buzzing sound when I removed my finger for just about one second then stopped. The other two did not do this.

When I had the fan assembly off yesterday, I notice a sticker on the back of each fan, but like a dumb**s, I failed to write anything down. Disabling the fan profile in [I]Afterburner [/I]allows the fans to run as they would without intervention. At 45%, I do not hear or feel anything. I know the fan will eventually fail, so now it the time to start shopping for a replacement on the web before I does fail. I fear it might seize and damage some of the circuitry. So, I will stop using it until I can remedy the situation. At warm idle, the core stays at 30°C, more or less.The fan speeds drop below 30%.

If anyone thinks I should remove it completely, please reply...

Batalov 2021-02-20 22:46

If one of the fans stops, then it is near the end of its lifetime. Just like any fan (even the old airplane propeller) - do help it to start again by flicking it in its intended direction (may need more than one help). But it won't last very long, maybe days, maybe months. Usually it is best to replace all of them, because its siblings are also months away.

You should take a photo rather than taking down what is written on the label. (some assemblies are such that the label faces inside. Some have the tech label replaced by a branded one.) Also the photo will help you disambiguate which replacement fans to buy; there are some identical fans with the only difference that they have 2-, 3-, 4- wire control (the weirdest thing is that the 3rd and 4th wire are simply ...[I]not soldered[/I] in as not needed for a particular model of its controller).

storm5510 2021-02-21 00:08

[QUOTE=Batalov;572103]If one of the fans stops, then it is near the end of its lifetime. Just like any fan (even the old airplane propeller) - do help it to start again by flicking it in its intended direction (may need more than one help). But it won't last very long, maybe days, maybe months. Usually it is best to replace all of them, because its siblings are also months away.

You should take a photo rather than taking down what is written on the label. (some assemblies are such that the label faces inside. Some have the tech label replaced by a branded one.) Also the photo will help you disambiguate which replacement fans to buy; there are some identical fans with the only difference that they have 2-, 3-, 4- wire control (the weirdest thing is that the 3rd and 4th wire are simply ...[I]not soldered[/I] in as not needed for a particular model of its controller).[/QUOTE]

To avoid any circuit damage, I removed it. I had a 750Ti in its box so I put it into the machine. All that was really required was an HDMI port, which it does. Tomorrow, when the light is better, I will remove the fan assembly from the 2080 again. This time, I will photo-document the fan stickers. I am not sure what holds them in place. They appear to be simply pressed into the cover.

There are sometimes subtle differences from different manufacturers. In this case, it is Zotac. Despite its like-new appearance, I am sure it was ran aggressively by its previous owner. Probably gaming, or maybe crypto-mining. Either way, it has performed excellently for me. I have been quite satisfied with it.

DrobinsonPE 2021-02-21 00:59

If I were you I would put the card back in and run it while looking for a replacement fan. Bearings start making noise long before they fail (like months to years). I have a Kodlix GK45 NUC style computer that I bought about a year ago and have been running both Prime95 and mfakto on it continuously. The CPU fan started making noise and vibrating within the first three months. that was about 9 months ago. I am typing this reply on that same computer right now. While typing this reply, Prime95 is crunching a P-1 at the rate of about 6.5 GHz-d/day and mfakto is factoring a number at about 5.5 GHz-d/day. The fan is still turning and right now is just emitting a light growl as it turns. Sometimes it is a lot louder and almost makes like a knocking sound. sometimes it is quieter and almost does not make any sound at all. I decided early on that I was just going to see how long the fan lasted and when it fails, see if I can find a replacement fan.

My other experience with fans making noise is the mini tower with my GTX-1650 Super. For months I kept hearing an intermittent howling vibration come and go but could not figure out which fan was the problem. First I disconnected the case fan with the side open for cooling but within a week or two the intermittent noise was still there. Then I replaced the 6 year old stock CPU fan with a higher performing aftermarket fan. When that did not fix it, I started suspecting one of the GPU fans but it just did not sound like that was where the noise was coming from. So I put up with the noise for a few more months. Finally, I upgraded the power supply to a 80% Gold unit that I found on sale and the noise was gone.

I would not treat an expensive graphics card quite the same way as an old or cheap computer but if your fan just started vibrating, my experience with computer fans show that you have plenty of time to find and prepare to replace it.

Runtime Error 2021-02-21 04:08

First, +1 to the above because apparently properly diagnosing GPU vibration takes a "Dr. Gregory House" level of medical brilliance.

But let me be a bit more explicit than the above replies: Upon delivery, my brand new GIGABYTE Geforce RTX 2070 sounded like broken glass in a kitchen sink garbage disposal!!! After removing the fans, I tightened the Phillips-head screws by about two whole rotations. The fan "vibration" was really the fan ribs hitting against the radiator. (Yikes!). This successfully reduced the noise for [I]most[/I] rpm settings. However, get absolute silence in terms of vibration by setting it to a constant 80% fan speed using MSI Afterburner when running GPUOWL. The same for 100% fan speed using MFAKTC. These speeds seem optimal enough for reducing both temperature and power consumption relative to total throughput. All on the plebian Windows software ;).

Probably not relevant to OP, but maybe for future people who see the thread: "sagging" (aka unlevel) GPUs can also cause vibration if your case does not properly fit your motherboard. Some gamer folks will use a toy to prop up their GPU to prevent "sag".

Good luck!