mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Software (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   mtsieve enhancements (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=25486)

rogue 2020-09-21 19:23

[QUOTE=Citrix;557487]I am looking at BestQ code

[code]

uint32_t GenericSubsequenceHelper::RateQ(uint32_t Q, uint32_t s)
{
uint32_t baby, giant, work;

ChooseSteps(&baby, &giant, Q, s);

work = baby*BABY_WORK + s*(giant-1)*GIANT_WORK + Q*EXP_WORK + s*SUBSEQ_WORK;

return work;
}

[/code]

I understand the BABY_WORK, GIANT_WORK and SUBSEQ_WORK steps.
Can you help me understand what is the Q*EXP_WORK -- I do not see anything corresponding to this in the discrete log function?

For a large Q if only one subsequence is left - it should be significantly faster than using a lower Q but the "Q*EXP_WORK" prevents use of large Q.[/QUOTE]

This was borrowed from srsieve. The original code was written by Geoff Reynolds.

Note that the code does not have any sr1sieve or sr2sieve enhancements. I have a ways to go to pull in the sr2sieve bsgs logic.

rob147147 2020-09-22 14:27

I think EXP_WORK relates to the additional mulmods involved in pre-calculating b^d (mod p) for all the appropriate remainder values 'd' where 0 <= d < Q.

E.g. We are rewriting the terms of a sequence k * b^n -1 as k * b^d * b^(Qm) -1 where n=Qm+d.

The idea behind Q is to identify which values 'd' are unnecessary, thus ending up with less than Q subsequences over a range 1/Q times the size of the original range, hopefully giving a performance improvement. There could be multiple terms with the same remainder 'd' so we can precalculate b^d (mod p) for those instances. My understanding from looking at the source code of sr1sieve (bsgs.c) is that it is this mulmod that we are accounting for in EXP_WORK.

Citrix 2020-09-24 03:45

[QUOTE=rob147147;557562]I think EXP_WORK relates to the additional mulmods involved in pre-calculating b^d (mod p) for all the appropriate remainder values 'd' where 0 <= d < Q.

E.g. We are rewriting the terms of a sequence k * b^n -1 as k * b^d * b^(Qm) -1 where n=Qm+d.

The idea behind Q is to identify which values 'd' are unnecessary, thus ending up with less than Q subsequences over a range 1/Q times the size of the original range, hopefully giving a performance improvement. There could be multiple terms with the same remainder 'd' so we can precalculate b^d (mod p) for those instances. My understanding from looking at the source code of sr1sieve (bsgs.c) is that it is this mulmod that we are accounting for in EXP_WORK.[/QUOTE]

Robert, I think you are correct. I came to the same conclusion when reviewing the code. Though for sr1sieve there would not be any need to calculate b^d (mod p) for particular d values as there is no candidates left for certain d. That is the whole point of choosing a Q value.

For multiple k (sr2sieve) the program should intelligently decide which b^d should be computed.

In Srsieve2 the following function would need to be corrected to make it faster for single k.

[code]
void GenericWorker::BuildTables(uint64_t *baseToUse, uint64_t *primeList, double *invp, uint64_t *bm64){
...}
[/code]

Citrix 2020-09-24 05:31

I tried to replace mulmod by powmod to avoid unnecessary multiplication. I get an error during run time. Any idea why the calculations are not being done correctly?

[CODE]
void GenericWorker::BuildTables(uint64_t *baseToUse, uint64_t *primeList, double *invp, uint64_t *bm64)
{
uint64_t inv_b[4];
uint32_t qIdx, seqIdx, ssIdx;
uint64_t umod[4], inv[4];

fpu_push_1divp(primeList[3]);
fpu_push_1divp(primeList[2]);
fpu_push_1divp(primeList[1]);
fpu_push_1divp(primeList[0]);

// Precompute 1/b^d (mod p) for 0 <= d <= Q.

bd64[0][0] = bd64[0][1] = bd64[0][2] = bd64[0][3] = 1;

bm64[0] = inv_b[0] = invmod64(baseToUse[0], primeList[0]);
bm64[1] = inv_b[1] = invmod64(baseToUse[1], primeList[1]);
bm64[2] = inv_b[2] = invmod64(baseToUse[2], primeList[2]);
bm64[3] = inv_b[3] = invmod64(baseToUse[3], primeList[3]);

/* for (qIdx=1; qIdx<ii_BestQ; qIdx++)
{
bd64[qIdx][0] = bm64[0];
bd64[qIdx][1] = bm64[1];
bd64[qIdx][2] = bm64[2];
bd64[qIdx][3] = bm64[3];

fpu_mulmod_4a_4b_4p(bm64, inv_b, primeList);
}
*/

for (seqIdx=0; seqIdx<ii_SequenceCount; seqIdx++)
{
ck64[seqIdx][0] = smod64(-ip_Sequences[seqIdx].c, primeList[0]);
ck64[seqIdx][1] = smod64(-ip_Sequences[seqIdx].c, primeList[1]);
ck64[seqIdx][2] = smod64(-ip_Sequences[seqIdx].c, primeList[2]);
ck64[seqIdx][3] = smod64(-ip_Sequences[seqIdx].c, primeList[3]);

umod[0] = umod64(ip_Sequences[seqIdx].k, primeList[0]);
umod[1] = umod64(ip_Sequences[seqIdx].k, primeList[1]);
umod[2] = umod64(ip_Sequences[seqIdx].k, primeList[2]);
umod[3] = umod64(ip_Sequences[seqIdx].k, primeList[3]);

inv[0] = invmod64(umod[0], primeList[0]);
inv[1] = invmod64(umod[1], primeList[1]);
inv[2] = invmod64(umod[2], primeList[2]);
inv[3] = invmod64(umod[3], primeList[3]);

fpu_mulmod_4a_4b_4p(ck64[seqIdx], inv, primeList);
}

// Compute -c/(k*b^d) (mod p) for each subsequence.
for (ssIdx=0; ssIdx<ii_SubsequenceCount; ssIdx++)
{
bdck64[ssIdx][0] = ck64[ip_Subsequences[ssIdx].seqIdx][0];
bdck64[ssIdx][1] = ck64[ip_Subsequences[ssIdx].seqIdx][1];
bdck64[ssIdx][2] = ck64[ip_Subsequences[ssIdx].seqIdx][2];
bdck64[ssIdx][3] = ck64[ip_Subsequences[ssIdx].seqIdx][3];

fpu_powmod_4b_1n_4p(bm64, ip_Subsequences[ssIdx].d, primeList);

//fpu_mulmod_4a_4b_4p(bdck64[ssIdx], bd64[ip_Subsequences[ssIdx].d], primeList);
fpu_mulmod_4a_4b_4p(bdck64[ssIdx], bm64, primeList);

bm64[0] = inv_b[0];
bm64[1] = inv_b[1];
bm64[2] = inv_b[2];
bm64[3] = inv_b[3];
}
fpu_powmod_4b_1n_4p(bm64, ii_BestQ, primeList);

fpu_pop();
fpu_pop();
fpu_pop();
fpu_pop();
}

[/CODE]

rogue 2020-09-24 12:44

fpu_powmod_4b_1n_4p() assumes that there is nothing on the FPU stack, but fpu_mulmod_4a_4b_4p() requires the first four entries on the stack to be preset (per fpu_push_1divp). You would have to create a version of fpu_powmod_4b_1n_4p() that supports precomputed values on the stack.

Happy5214 2020-09-26 12:15

[QUOTE=rogue;557742]fpu_powmod_4b_1n_4p() assumes that there is nothing on the FPU stack, but fpu_mulmod_4a_4b_4p() requires the first four entries on the stack to be preset (per fpu_push_1divp). You would have to create a version of fpu_powmod_4b_1n_4p() that supports precomputed values on the stack.[/QUOTE]

On that subject, I'm about to implement the ARM version of fpu_powmod_4b_1n_4p() (it'll be the only one I'll have to spill registers for :sad:). Is there a reason why fpu_mulmod_4a_4b_4p() preloads the 1/p values and fpu_powmod_4b_1n_4p() doesn't? Should I keep the current semantics with the ARM version?

I discovered when I implemented fpu_powmod() that the x87 version [I]does[/I] in fact use right-to-left exponentiation, as I noted in a previous post, so you were right on that concern earlier.

rogue 2020-09-26 13:06

[QUOTE=Happy5214;557951]On that subject, I'm about to implement the ARM version of fpu_powmod_4b_1n_4p() (it'll be the only one I'll have to spill registers for :sad:). Is there a reason why fpu_mulmod_4a_4b_4p() preloads the 1/p values and fpu_powmod_4b_1n_4p() doesn't? Should I keep the current semantics with the ARM version?

I discovered when I implemented fpu_powmod() that the x87 version [I]does[/I] in fact use right-to-left exponentiation, as I noted in a previous post, so you were right on that concern earlier.[/QUOTE]

In most cases fpu_powmod_4b_1n_4p() is called once to set up a loop and fpu_mulmod_4a_4b_4p() is called within a loop. There is a time speed bump to setting up the stack prior to the call to fpu_powmod_4b_1n_4p(), but it wouldn't benefit all sieves and most that would benefit would probably see a negligible benefit. The long term goal would then be to preset the stack (or registers for ARM) for all fpu functions.

rogue 2020-12-27 18:26

I have posted mtsieve 2.1.0 over at sourceforge. There are many changes with this release, but users of gcwsievecl, mfsieve, and mfsievecl will get the most benefit. The changes are:

[code]
2.1.0 - December 27, 2020
framework:
On Windows, switched to using gcc from msys2 instead of gcc from mingw64. -O3
gives a nice performance bump to some of the non-ASM code.

Exit after showing help when using -h swtich instead of giving fatal error.

Add logic to support validation of factors passed with -I, but not all sieves are
coded to do this validation.

On GPU builds, default -W to 0 and -G to 1. A "special" CPU worker will be created
as necessary to test ranges of p that are to small for the GPU code.

For GPU executables, add -H to show some GPU details when each kernel is created.

Improve factor rate calculation when using GPU workers.

Created FUTURE.txt for items I would like to get working.

cksieve: version 1.3
Added logic to validate factors passed with -I.

gcwsieve, gcwsievecl: version 1.4
Add -f option to gcwsieve so that it can generate ABC output that is supported by LLR.
Added -M option and fixed -S for gcwsievecl.
Improved speed of GPU code of gcwsievecl by about 25%.
The GPU code is more than 20x faster than the CPU for the same amount of work.

mfsieve, mfsievecl: version 1.7
Replaced all ASM routines with non-ASM routines based upon Montgomery mulitplication. This
provides a speed bump of at least 30% over the previous release.
Fixed the GPU code and replaced magic number logic with Montgomery multiplcation as it is
faster. The new GPU code is more then 25% faster than the old GPU code.
The GPU code is more than 20x faster than the CPU for the same amount of work.

sgsieve: version 1.2

twinsieve: version 1.3

xyyxsieve, xyyxsievecl: version 1.8
[/code]

I also add a FUTURE.txt file with what I want to do in the future. I know there are things that I have promised that are not in this list. Please let me know what I have missed:

[code]
2.0.7 - December 22, 2020
framework:
Replace AMD SDK on Windows with open source SDK for OpenCL.

Add more output for -H for GPU executables.

afsieve, afsievecl:
Replace logic with Montgomery multiplcation.
Add factor validation when using -I.

dmdsieve:

fbncsieve:

fkbnsieve:

gfndsieve:

kbbsieve:

psieve:

pixsieve:

srsieve2:
Implement sr1sieve and sr2sieve logic.
[/code]

I will probably complete most of the -I updates in the coming days and a replacement OpenCL SDK on Windows is close behind.

pepi37 2020-12-27 19:21

If you can rise upper limit of srsieve2.

rogue 2020-12-27 20:06

[QUOTE=pepi37;567476]If you can rise upper limit of srsieve2.[/QUOTE]

So you need it to go above 2^52?

pepi37 2020-12-27 21:01

[QUOTE=rogue;567479]So you need it to go above 2^52?[/QUOTE]
1e17 is good for me