mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Math (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Brimstone for cracking RSA. (jk) (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=25822)

Till 2020-08-11 16:16

[QUOTE=Uncwilly;553296]Thanks for catching that. I broke the link. If someone want to get it they can do so with full knowledge.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the Sourceforge project link does not seem to be the problem, it is rather the download link which appends "files/latest/download" to the project link.

But if I understand correctly, kruoli had no warnings opening the archive.

Btw, I do not really understand why the author creates a password-protected archive and then publishes the password on a public forum. Why not a plain open SourceForge project?

kruoli 2020-08-11 16:31

I guess SF says it's malicious [I]because[/I] it is password protected and cannot be checked against malware etc.
The password is not shown correctly on my end, but I still could copy and insert in into my archiver.

xilman 2020-08-11 16:41

[QUOTE=Till;553299]Actually, the Sourceforge project link does not seem to be the problem, it is rather the download link which appends "files/latest/download" to the project link.

But if I understand correctly, kruoli had no warnings opening the archive.

Btw, I do not really understand why the author creates a password-protected archive and then publishes the password on a public forum. Why not a plain open SourceForge project?[/QUOTE]As a bozo filter?

Anyone can download an unprotected project. A certain minimum level of cluefulness is needed for one which is password-protected.

Till 2020-08-11 16:46

[QUOTE=xilman;553305]As a bojo filter?
[/QUOTE]

Great one :razz: :grin::grin:

Batalov 2020-08-11 17:01

I am always keen to learn some crowd psychology.
The question that I had is - why do folks get compelled to download a code that does something wrongly? We [I]already [/I]know that it does its own job wrongly. What does it matter [I]how [/I]it does it? One wants to marvel the coding style or the number of lines or something?
Very curious.

The algorithm starts with N, P and Q, then...
[QUOTE=SarK0Y;553061]At some point, it seemed utterly impossible. But here we go..

Actually, algo consists of three stages..

it picks initial (probable) Z’s (pZ_L and pZ_R) up (Z = P + Q, [B][COLOR="Red"]N = P*Q[/COLOR][/B])[/QUOTE]
Full stop, don't need to read further.
The algorithm now computed P*Q and if it equals N: stop, all done.
Else: stop because there is no point in going further :-)

Arguing that it is better because "it doesn't use division and (untrue) doesn't use modular arithmetic" is false because it competes with the Algorithm 2: "Compute P*Q. If equal N, stop. Done" and loses.

xilman 2020-08-11 17:02

[QUOTE=Till;553309]Great one :razz: :D :D[/QUOTE]Clever mis-quoting. :tu:

By and large I disapprove of editing quotes but on this occasion I will make an exception.

Till 2020-08-11 17:05

[QUOTE=xilman;553312]Clever mis-quoting. :tu:

By and large I disapprove of editing quotes but on this occasion I will make an exception.[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir :smile:

xilman 2020-08-11 17:16

[QUOTE=Till;553313]Thank you sir :smile:[/QUOTE]You're welcome.

As a nit-pick (I spend a significant amount of my time picking nits) I will point out that BoJo is conventionally BiCapitalized,

Till 2020-08-11 17:45

[QUOTE=xilman;553317]You're welcome.

As a nit-pick (I spend a significant amount of my time picking nits) I will point out that BoJo is conventionally BiCapitalized,[/QUOTE]

Is this a riddle that someone could crack who does not know british language or culture to a really large extend? I am quite clueless about it, but I think that those two capitalized letters are a distraction.

xilman 2020-08-11 18:36

[QUOTE=Till;553322]Is this a riddle that someone could crack who does not know british language or culture to a really large extend? I am quite clueless about it, but I think that those two capitalized letters are a distraction.[/QUOTE]"BoJo"is a common contraction of "Boris Johnson".

"Bozo" is the name of a historically famous circus clown.

I used "bozo" whereas you mis-quoted it as "bojo".

Till 2020-08-11 19:53

[QUOTE=xilman;553327]"BoJo"is a common contraction of "Boris Johnson".

"Bozo" is the name of a historically famous circus clown.

I used "bozo" whereas you mis-quoted it as "bojo".[/QUOTE]

I understood that much... Good night :cool: