mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Information & Answers (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Estimated hours of use (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=27793)

mrk74 2022-05-11 23:47

Estimated hours of use

When setting up GIMPS one of the options is Estimated hours of use per day. Is this how many hours a day it will run or is it just asking how many hours a day you think you will use it. If it's the later, just for curiosity sake, why does it ask that?

Uncwilly 2022-05-12 01:04

It is the later. It helps with estimates of how much work you are going to be able to do. Which in turn is used to figure out how much work to ask for.

mrk74 2022-05-12 01:07

[QUOTE=Uncwilly;605706]It is the later. It helps with estimates of how much work you are going to be able to do. Which in turn is used to figure out how much work to ask for.[/QUOTE]

So in the end does it really matter what you set it at if you don't care about credit?

Uncwilly 2022-05-12 01:14

It is not about credit. If you set it to 24 hrs/day and only run, you might wind up with work that would take you months to get through (instead of leaving it for someone else to get to in a timely manner.) Or if you set it to 1 and run it 24 hrs and you have limited connectivity, your machine might run out of work. Prime95 does have a "rolling average" to try to figure out how much work the machine actually does. But it takes a while to get that settled.

mrk74 2022-05-12 01:47

Ok I have a stable connection. I set it to 6 in the thinking it would only run 6 hours a day (obviously not). The computer doesn't get used for much else so I could bump it up if that's a smart thing to do. As of right now I'm on almost day 3 of 4 running an LL. I only have that one assignment. I'm up for any suggestions you might offer.

Uncwilly 2022-05-12 02:09

I assume that the LL is a double check. Yes, that is fine.
If it is a first time check, please change over to PRP with proof file generation, if you can.

axn 2022-05-12 02:25

[QUOTE=mrk74;605701]Is this how many hours a day it will run or is it just asking how many hours a day you think you will use it. If it's the later, just for curiosity sake, why does it ask that?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Uncwilly;605706]It is the later. [/QUOTE]

Isn't it the former? i.e. How many hours the program will run as opposed to how many hours the human is sitting in front of the computer? I am not sure I understood the OP's question correctly, but I'm not sure you did either.

Uncwilly 2022-05-12 02:29

[QUOTE=axn;605718]Isn't it the former?[/QUOTE]I took the question to mean, does this stop the program after X hrs of use each day or is it how much the user thinks the PC will be on to run it?

axn 2022-05-12 02:31

[QUOTE=Uncwilly;605719]I took the question to mean, does this stop the program after X hrs of use each day or is it how much the user thinks the PC will be on to run it?[/QUOTE]

I suppose that is a sensible interpretation too... Just not sure that is what OP meant... Anyway, maybe there is some value to this tangent for OP

mrk74 2022-05-12 14:23

[QUOTE=Uncwilly;605716]I assume that the LL is a double check. Yes, that is fine.
If it is a first time check, please change over to PRP with proof file generation, if you can.[/QUOTE]

My mistake. It is a double check.

mrk74 2022-05-12 14:26

[QUOTE=axn;605718]Isn't it the former? i.e. How many hours the program will run as opposed to how many hours the human is sitting in front of the computer? I am not sure I understood the OP's question correctly, but I'm not sure you did either.[/QUOTE]

After looking into it Unc was right. It runs 24/7. But I did think that setting was to tell it how many hours to run a day but obviously it isn't.