mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   GPU Computing (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   ATX Power Supply (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=26406)

EdH 2021-01-16 15:28

ATX Power Supply

Please forgive my possibly too ignorant state.

I am trying to see if I can replace a power supply in any of my systems to include one that can power a GPU. None of my current systems have the extra lines form the supply. For example, a Tesla K80 needs to be supplied with at least a single 8-pin connector (if rated high enough) or two 8-pin connectors via an adapter cable.

In my research of power supplies for ATX systems, I'm finding different ones with several 4 pin connectors, but some of those don't appear to include the standard(?) 4-pin 12V for the motherboard. To complicate things, some of my motherboards use the 6(8)-pin connector themselves which leaves none for a GPU.

Can the power supplies with multiple 4-pin connectors be used by placing two 4-pin supply connectors into the 8-pin GPU connector?

Thanks for any help.

paulunderwood 2021-01-16 16:39

Buy a new capable modern efficient PSU :smile:

Viliam Furik 2021-01-16 16:45

[QUOTE=EdH;569444]Please forgive my possibly too ignorant state.

I am trying to see if I can replace a power supply in any of my systems to include one that can power a GPU. None of my current systems have the extra lines form the supply. For example, a Tesla K80 needs to be supplied with at least a single 8-pin connector (if rated high enough) or two 8-pin connectors via an adapter cable.

In my research of power supplies for ATX systems, I'm finding different ones with several 4 pin connectors, but some of those don't appear to include the standard(?) 4-pin 12V for the motherboard. To complicate things, some of my motherboards use the 6(8)-pin connector themselves which leaves none for a GPU.

Can the power supplies with multiple 4-pin connectors be used by placing two 4-pin supply connectors into the 8-pin GPU connector?

Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]
There are two types of 8-pin connectors...

The first type of 8-pin is 4+4, used for CPU power, plugged into the motherboard. The second type is 6+2, used for mainly the GPUs, but can be used for other compatible devices. AFAIK, the won't even fit into each other, because the pin casings are different -> different arrangement of square ones and square with two adjacent corners cut down.

If you still need help, please, send some pictures.

tServo 2021-01-16 16:57

[QUOTE=EdH;569444]Please forgive my possibly too ignorant state.

Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

I looked at the K80 power supply cables available on Ebay at the 8 pin male power end is unique to Tesla. It is NOT the same as a standard PCIE 8 pin.
I think that the cables for the mother board WILL NOT WORK in a GPU and vice versa.
Paul Underwood's post has good advice .William Furtik's is correct.
If you're not careful, you could fry your motherboard and everything on it and/or wreck your GPU.

EdH 2021-01-16 16:59

[QUOTE=paulunderwood;569449]Buy a new capable modern efficient PSU :smile:[/QUOTE]This is my hope, but the connectors are confusing me.

[QUOTE=Viliam Furik;569452]There are two types of 8-pin connectors...

The first type of 8-pin is 4+4, used for CPU power, plugged into the motherboard. The second type is 6+2, used for mainly the GPUs, but can be used for other compatible devices. AFAIK, the won't even fit into each other, because the pin casings are different -> different arrangement of square ones and square with two adjacent corners cut down.

If you still need help, please, send some pictures.[/QUOTE]Thanks! This will help in my studies.

paulunderwood 2021-01-16 17:13

[QUOTE=EdH;569457]This is my hope, but the connectors are confusing me.

Thanks! This will help in my studies.[/QUOTE]

As has been said, they 8 pin CPU plug is not interchangeable with the GPU ones. If your board uses only 4 pins for the CPU feed then make sure to get a 4+4.

EdH 2021-01-16 19:27

[QUOTE=paulunderwood;569461]As has been said, they 8 pin CPU plug is not interchangeable with the GPU ones. If your board uses only 4 pins for the CPU feed then make sure to get a 4+4.[/QUOTE]Thanks! That helps me figure this out.

EdH 2021-01-17 13:48

I believe I have found a supply with connectors to cover all examples. It's 500 watts:
[code]
[B]Drive/Power Connectors[/B]
Modular - - - - - - Non-Modular
ATX Connector - - - 20+4-pin
ATX 12V Connector - 1 x 4+4-pin
Graphics Connector- 2 x 6-pin, 2 x 6+2-pin
Molex Connector - - 3
SATA Connector- - - 6

[B]Power Specifications[/B]
PFC - - - - - - - - Active
Rating- - - - - - - 80 PLUS Certified
Energy Efficiency - > 80% Typical
[/code]Are there any things I've missed, or not considered and should?

Thanks for all the help!

chris2be8 2021-01-17 16:25

Looking round [url]http://www.hardwarebook.net/[/url] you should be able to find pictures of every type of connector. And details of what they are used for.

Chris

preda 2021-01-17 16:42

I would recommend to get a 850W or at least 750W PSU, Gold 80+, and modular or semi-modular. Maybe read some reviews of the model before buying. The reason is: you have some power headroom (to 850W), and Gold 80+ [semi]modular tend to be higher quality, and generate less heat and noise.

[QUOTE=EdH;569501]I believe I have found a supply with connectors to cover all examples. It's 500 watts:
[code]
[B]Drive/Power Connectors[/B]
Modular - - - - - - Non-Modular
ATX Connector - - - 20+4-pin
ATX 12V Connector - 1 x 4+4-pin
Graphics Connector- 2 x 6-pin, 2 x 6+2-pin
Molex Connector - - 3
SATA Connector- - - 6

[B]Power Specifications[/B]
PFC - - - - - - - - Active
Rating- - - - - - - 80 PLUS Certified
Energy Efficiency - > 80% Typical
[/code]Are there any things I've missed, or not considered and should?

Thanks for all the help![/QUOTE]

EdH 2021-01-17 16:55

[QUOTE=chris2be8;569513]Looking round [URL]http://www.hardwarebook.net/[/URL] you should be able to find pictures of every type of connector. And details of what they are used for.

Chris[/QUOTE]Thanks, but that page does not work for me. Clicking the ATX Power Supply link on the initial page gets a 404 error page and then I can't get back to the original page until I reload my browser.

I did find some images elsewhere and the posts in this thread have really helped.