mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Hardware (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Prime 95 errors (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=3161)

Wychi 2004-10-07 10:50

Prime 95 errors

Hey guys sorry 4 my bad english, i am a totally pc n00b and have a problem with a game, warcraft 3. i get some Fatal errors after playing it for about 20 minutes or even 2 hours.

In Froums i red that the ram may be the cause of this error, i did memtest without any erorrs with prime 95 i get this ones:

[Mon Oct 04 14:25:26 2004]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.494140625, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
[Mon Oct 04 15:26:40 2004]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
[Mon Oct 04 15:38:29 2004]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4978027344, expected less than 0.4
[Mon Oct 04 16:31:12 2004]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4997711182, expected less than 0.4

What do the errors say? Is there e german forum maybe ?
:whistle:

outlnder 2004-10-07 18:11

Your machine is malfunctioning. Either it is overclocked too much or your Ram has some bad sectors.

moo 2004-10-07 22:09

Well it means somethings not right those numbers are pre set what ur machine turns up with must match the answer if not it gets the error saying that there is no way to tell could be over clocked actually i think i have read a few places that machines are underclocked to solve the problem.

Mystwalker 2004-10-07 22:54

[QUOTE=Wychi]What do the errors say? Is there e german forum maybe ?[/QUOTE]

You can try [url]http://www.rechenkraft.net[/url] - it's the largest german distributed computing community I know of. GIMPS is not that much a topic, but there are several people participating in it, so answers will come.
Otherwise, you can send me a private message or something like that...

Concerning the main question, your computer makes mistakes in the computation. Bad RAM is the main problem, overclocking and bad power supply are factors as well.
best solution is to try other RAM modules, you don't need to buy new ones, maybe someone can borrow you a module for a short time...

nomadicus 2004-10-08 04:12

You said you were playing warcraft 3 and a quick look at the blizzard web site shows this to be a video intensive game (Frozen Throne for example).
If you can't find a hardware problem, maybe it is warcraft 3's interaction with the video drivers. I had that problem with Tron 2.0 but never any other game I've played. Had to restart factoring more then once just to make sure I didn't turn in erroneous results. :yucky:

Wychi 2004-10-08 07:34

erm nomadicus what do u mean? Say that the graficdrivers may have errors or what? :confused: May u give me a link to that topic at blizzard website u refer to?

I have no overclocked system and i do not think it is c00ling because i can play doom3 without any errors for about 2 hours and i think d3 needs more power that warcraft.

So i have 2 512 pc 3200 ddr400 ram sticks, i will test the 2 sticks alone so i can find out where the problem exists and where not.

moo 2004-10-08 15:56

its not about power its about how the program uses the system
doom 3 might not use the part thats errored so it wont crash
wc3 might and crash

Wychi 2004-10-09 07:17

Yes, maybe i tested wc3 with only one ram stick...there was no error and prime 95 did not show any errors. Now i test the other stick i hope there eill be error if not, maybe the mainbord is destroyed. :yawn:

db597 2004-10-09 14:17

If you put 2 sticks of RAM in at the same time, check whether your computer is running in single or dual channel mode. Usually the dual channel mode is a bit more unstable - so you may have to reduce your clockspeed or use a higher latency setting.

I found that one of my Pentium 4s was producing errors even at stock speeds (no overclocking). I've since reduced the clockspeed by a few percent, and it's fine now. Sounds like a bad deal, but I'm glad that Prime95 has highlighted the problem. Now I'm sure I won't get errors (Prime95 would catch the error in LL testing, but what if the error appeared during saving a Word Document? Might lose lots of work.).

Wychi 2004-10-09 16:01

where can i configurate the modes in bios?

ok i know what dual channel mode is and what single mode is.. But whats clockspeed and stockspeed?