mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Software (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bug request (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=23405)

Uncwilly 2018-05-31 14:54

Bug request

I ran into a little trouble with another user because of the way Prime95 communicates with PrimeNet.

I grabbed a number for a triple check and started it using Advanced>Test. The test started immediately. But, Prime95 waited for over an hour before communicating with PrimeNet. Another user also started the TC and got the assignment register before I did (about 10 minutes after I started mine.)

Shouldn't starting a test immediately using Advanced>Test also trigger a check-in with PrimeNet?

kladner 2018-06-04 00:48

[QUOTE=Uncwilly;488726]I ran into a little trouble with another user because of the way Prime95 communicates with PrimeNet.

I grabbed a number for a triple check and started it using Advanced>Test. The test started immediately. But, Prime95 waited for over an hour before communicating with PrimeNet. Another user also started the TC and got the assignment register before I did (about 10 minutes after I started mine.)

Shouldn't starting a test immediately using Advanced>Test also trigger a check-in with PrimeNet?[/QUOTE]
It does seem that even an Options change can trigger server contact. However, when I was doing manual-sourced LL on GPU, I generally forced a full P95, "Send expected..." contact immediately, before committing it to the food chain.
EDIT: That is, if the assignment is manually added, or put in a "worktodo.add" file, the program may not be stimulated to call home to the server at once. Advanced>Manual Communication will prevent any conflict in assignments, by confirming with the server and obtaining a key. :innocent:

Uncwilly 2018-06-04 03:47

[QUOTE=kladner;489092]I generally forced a full P95, "Send expected..." contact immediately, before committing it to the food chain.
Advanced>Manual Communication will prevent any conflict in assignments, by confirming with the server and obtaining a key. :innocent:[/QUOTE]"Send expected..." works if there are no results in the queue. "Contact now.." does not seem to cause it to check in the new assignment.

chalsall 2018-06-04 04:12

[QUOTE=Uncwilly;489100]"Send expected..." works if there are no results in the queue. "Contact now.." does not seem to cause it to check in the new assignment.[/QUOTE]

Go hardcore... Exit Prime95/mprime. Edit local.txt; delete the "LastEndDatesSent=" line. Launch Prime95/mprime.

Problem solved.

Uncwilly 2018-06-04 04:29

I just figured that if one is using PrimeNet (as opposed to "Just testing"), when adding a number to test via the interface, that should trigger a communication with the server, That way the user can get feedback right away. If the number has a known factor or is already assigned, that should be communicated back forthwith.

Mark Rose 2018-06-04 16:52

[QUOTE=chalsall;489101]Go hardcore... Exit Prime95/mprime. Edit local.txt; delete the "LastEndDatesSent=" line. Launch Prime95/mprime.

Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

That's what I always do when adding new exponents.