mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   gophne (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   "New" primality test/check (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=22838)

chalsall 2018-01-01 07:20

[QUOTE=gophne;475802]I acknowledge that "my" algorithm is a "clone" of Fermat.[/QUOTE]

If I may please say, you are quite possibly the funniest AI we've ever had here.

[QUOTE=gophne;475802]All I can do now is to provide the background work that I had used to derive "my" algorithm, if anybody might be interested. I did not use Fermat.[/QUOTE]

No need.

Any high-school student worth their salt would have parsed your language, and your maths, in their head.

guptadeva 2018-01-01 10:44

eucleides is said to have replied to king ptolemaios' request for an easy way of learning mathematics: "THERE IS NO ROYAL WAY TO MATHEMATICS"

as an unnknown greek translator once joked, the quote of euclid could also be interpreted as "THERE IS NO WAY MORE ROYAL THAN THE MATHEMATICS"

as far as i know ptolemaios assured eucleides that he would study hard and not make any shortcuts ...

eucleides did in fact teach ptolemaios some simple mathematics as he perfectly understood the future value of this - it had been a longstanding dream of eucleides that a library in alexandria be build - so after having taught ptolemaios to appreciate the value of science, a library was build in alexandria with support from ptolemaios.

also eratosthenes, later working in the library of alexandria as the chief librarian had enough time to sift through the huge ammount of precious scientific works collected there

euceides never taught any geometry to ptolemaios ... but that's another story ...

gophne 2018-01-01 11:42

[QUOTE=chalsall;475808]If I may please say, you are quite possibly the funniest AI we've ever had here.

No need.

Any high-school student worth their salt would have parsed your language, and your maths, in their head.[/QUOTE]
Hi chalsall

You point is taken.

I think you came from your mothers womb already filled with wisdom and magnanimity, because it is shining from you like a fiery beacon.

You are a colossus of a human being....there are and never will be anybody like you that will walk on this earth.

You must enjoy and never forget or let others forget this very special gift that you have been born with.

Go well.

gophne 2018-01-01 12:05

[QUOTE=guptadeva;475816]eucleides is said to have replied to king ptolemaios' request for an easy way of learning mathematics: "THERE IS NO ROYAL WAY TO MATHEMATICS"

as an unnknown greek translator once joked, the quote of euclid could also be interpreted as "THERE IS NO WAY MORE ROYAL THAN THE MATHEMATICS"

as far as i know ptolemaios assured eucleides that he would study hard and not make any shortcuts ...

eucleides did in fact teach ptolemaios some simple mathematics as he perfectly understood the future value of this - it had been a longstanding dream of eucleides that a library in alexandria be build - so after having taught ptolemaios to appreciate the value of science, a library was build in alexandria with support from ptolemaios.

also eratosthenes, later working in the library of alexandria as the chief librarian had enough time to sift through the huge ammount of precious scientific works collected there

euceides never taught any geometry to ptolemaios ... but that's another story ...[/QUOTE]
Thanks.....the embarassment runs deep, but I take heart from your message. I supposed the history of maths is littered with all kinds of wanna-be's like myself. But then again, lots of knowledge must have been born in fits of insanity...unfortunately for me this was not one of those times :(

However, prime search is my hobby....and I will continue to search....and hopefully I will not be pre-judged by this faux pas...there could be many more.

I will post on this thread, once the thunder has passed, the background work from which I derived the formula that I had posted, which was not from Fermat.

Until then I will keep as low a profile as possible.

Regards

guptadeva 2018-01-01 14:34

re-stating some of your quotes:

[QUOTE]I will post on this thread, once the thunder has passed,
the background work from which I derived the formula that I had posted

it involves an (elusive) prime relationship
time O(log n)
If authenticated, will compare to simplicity of Euclid's Proof for Infinite number of Primes[/QUOTE]

well, it was just a thunder in a water-glass so to say.
so i would still be interested to know more about
the method itself that led to your discovery

you managed to formulate a conclusion of your method in terms of
the mod function and this conclusion is equivalent to another conclusion of fermat

yet from your quotes i would deduce, that your original
method implies looking at some groups of the digits of
a number n ?

or do you just systematically play with numbers
on a computer and are able to spot interesting patterns
as the emerge ?

btw. fermat made quite a lot of hasty conclusions that were later proven to be wrong
(simple counter-examples), but this do not diminish his work ...
it just shows the necessity of formal proofs.

science_man_88 2018-01-01 14:40

[QUOTE=guptadeva;475839]re-stating some of your quotes:

well, it was just a thunder in a water-glass so to say.
so i would still be interested to know more about
the method itself that led to your discovery

you managed to formulate a conclusion of your method in terms of
the mod function and this conclusion is equivalent to another conclusion of fermat

yet from your quotes i would deduce, that your original
method implies looking at some groups of the digits of
a number n ?

or do you just systematically play with numbers
on a computer and are able to spot interesting patterns
as the emerge ?

btw. fermat made quite a lot of hasty conclusions that were later proven to be wrong
(simple counter-examples), but this do not diminish his work ...
it just shows the necessity of formal proofs.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention this is on of an infinite number of equivalents to Fermat's base 2 test.

guptadeva 2018-01-01 15:21

[QUOTE=science_man_88;475840]Not to mention this is on of an infinite number of equivalents to Fermat's base 2 test.[/QUOTE]
elementary my dear watson: all of these infinite number of tests are equivalent, yet some are more equivalent than others

xilman 2018-01-01 17:40

[QUOTE=gophne;475822]Hi chalsall

You point is taken.

I think you came from your mothers womb already filled with wisdom and magnanimity, because it is shining from you like a fiery beacon.

You are a colossus of a human being....there are and never will be anybody like you that will walk on this earth.

You must enjoy and never forget or let others forget this very special gift that you have been born with.

Go well.[/QUOTE]Flattery will get you everywhere.

science_man_88 2018-01-01 17:56

[QUOTE=guptadeva;475842]elementary my dear watson: all of these infinite number of tests are equivalent, yet some are more equivalent than others[/QUOTE]

And some could tell properties of n such that Mn have specific k in their divisors.

guptadeva 2018-01-01 18:30

[QUOTE=science_man_88;475857]And some could tell properties of n such that Mn have specific k in their divisors.[/QUOTE]

you are giving so many hints, dear sherlock :smile:

science_man_88 2018-01-01 19:31

[QUOTE=guptadeva;475863]you are giving so many hints, dear sherlock :smile:[/QUOTE]

Do they really count as hints if the person might not decipher them ?