mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Prime Cullen Prime (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Collaboration with PrimeGrid? (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=8599)

SB2 2007-07-09 17:00

I noticed they have started sending out Woodall candidates again, so I guess everything has worked out for all involved?

hhh 2007-07-09 20:03

[QUOTE=rogue;109936]I have been working with the folks at PrimeGrid so all issues will be worked out shortly. AFAIK, they have not "poached" work from anybody as they contacted other searchers on their own.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear.

[QUOTE=SB2;109936] I noticed they have started sending out Woodall candidates again, so I guess everything has worked out for all involved?[/QUOTE]

As far as I understood, Woodal is working, and Cullen has some minor Client issues yet to solve.

Does anybody take offence if I give them the numbers from 2.5M-3M as a test? So we could see how quick they are, and later how fast they do with Cullen.

I will provide some new sieving soon, as well.

Yours H.

SB2 2007-07-09 22:52

[QUOTE=hhh;109954]Good to hear.

As far as I understood, Woodal is working, and Cullen has some minor Client issues yet to solve.

Does anybody take offence if I give them the numbers from 2.5M-3M as a test? So we could see how quick they are, and later how fast they do with Cullen.

I will provide some new sieving soon, as well.

Yours H.[/QUOTE]

How many candidates are there from the area we are LLR testing to 2.5M? Enough to keep us busy LLR'ing while sieving a higher range?

It is your project, but if we wish to continue the project as envisioned, I fail to see the reasoning behind giving them the smaller/faster candidates when it is obvious they have far more resources available, therefore more capable to do the higher ranges. After all thier plan is to test upto 10M. :confused:

hhh 2007-07-11 09:22

[QUOTE=SB2;109962]How many candidates are there from the area we are LLR testing to 2.5M? Enough to keep us busy LLR'ing while sieving a higher range?

It is your project, but if we wish to continue the project as envisioned, I fail to see the reasoning behind giving them the smaller/faster candidates when it is obvious they have far more resources available, therefore more capable to do the higher ranges. After all thier plan is to test upto 10M. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Actually it is your project, or at least ours.

We had about 3800 candidates in the 1.5M-5M-range, uniformly distributed. the 5M-tests are estimated to take about one day each.

From your response, I guess it is the best to stick to geoffs proposal, which is wait and see how things develop, while of course helping PG with factors and so on.

Meanwhile, I think we are ready for the near future: Sieving is online again, I have fully P-1ed LLR candidates up to 3M (need only to post them), and P-1 work is still available as well.

Cheers, Yours H.

geoff 2007-09-07 03:24

Primegrid is catching up. PCP LLR has almost reached n=3,000,000, but at this rate Primegrid will probably overtake well before n=4,000,000.

I would like to keep LLR testing up to n=3,000,000, but I don't think I'll continue beyond that.

hhh 2007-09-07 23:49

[QUOTE=geoff;113748]Primegrid is catching up. PCP LLR has almost reached n=3,000,000, but at this rate Primegrid will probably overtake well before n=4,000,000.

I would like to keep LLR testing up to n=3,000,000, but I don't think I'll continue beyond that.[/QUOTE]

It is indeed, see this page

[url]http://www.primegrid.com/range_grid.php[/url]

and that's why I suggest leaving PrimeCullenPrime just die in silence and dignity.

In fact there isn't even a point in continuing LLR, as they already run the doublecheck immediately.

If anybody sees a future to this project, he may speak, or remain silent forever. Or speak later, indeed. H.

Citrix 2007-09-08 00:10

How far is primegrid going to PRP? Are they only going to go to 3M? How far have they sieved their ranges? What program do they use to sieve?

jasong 2007-09-08 00:43

On that note, I'll unreserve the ranges I promised I'd continue doing.(I was a lying bastard even before I saw this thread :( )

It would be nice if PrimeGrid would give people the power to specifically test prime Cullen ns, or whatever they're called.

/me goes to the proper thread to unreserve his ranges.

BlisteringSheep 2007-09-08 02:41

[QUOTE=jasong;113825]It would be nice if PrimeGrid would give people the power to specifically test prime Cullen ns, or whatever they're called.[/QUOTE]
If I understand what you're asking for, it's already provided (and has been since they added Woodall & Cullen). On the [URL="http://www.primegrid.com/prefs.php?subset=project"]PrimeGrid preferences page[/URL], you can chose to which type(s) of work you want, from Primegen, Twin Prime Search, Woodall Prime Search and Cullen Prime Search. You can do this globally or by BOINC venue (global, home, school, work).

And prior to that, you could pick TPS instead of Primegen by enabling beta applications.

:alex:

Citrix 2007-09-08 20:17

[QUOTE=jasong;113825]

It would be nice if PrimeGrid would give people the power to specifically test prime Cullen ns, or whatever they're called.

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps we can set our own BOINC projects (So all non-GIMPS but mersenne forum projects) can get some BOINC users and speed up things. This way it might be possible for us to stay ahead of them. Does anyone know how to set up a BOINC project? :smile:

hhh 2007-09-10 14:29

As far as I'm concerned, I neither have the power, the ressources nor the knowledge for doing so.

And I think, as a general guideline, it is better to leave to the king what belongs to the king: Primegrid's runner Rytis was the one who made PerlBoinc, as far as I know. For him, it would be like a fingersnip to implement a special choice for prime n. Well, I guess it would. So, I think our time is better spent convincing him to do so. On the other hand, there are for sure arguments against doing so, too, that I don't know.

I think pretty much that PrimeCullenPrime is done, and I'm glad that somebody else is searching for the same thing and more faster than we did.

Yours H.