mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Conjectures 'R Us (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Sierpinski base 4 (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=3630)

jasong 2007-05-21 21:47

New problem:

Enter srfile -h to get a list of possible commands. I'm having trouble removing factors. The following DO NOT work.
[code]srfile -k 5-6.txt (changed name of file)

srfile -k factors5.txt (the original name of the file)

srfile -k --factors5.txt

srfile -k --known factors factors5.txt[/code]

Heeeeeelllllp.

Edit: The following is the closest I've gotten:
[code]srfile -k --known-factors factors*.txt[/code]

(With the above, it says the file is unrecognized)

geoff 2007-05-22 02:53

There is a limitation you may not be aware of: If you are converting multiple NewPGen files to another format, each NewPGen file should be for a different k value. If two NewPGen files contain the same k value then you may get the error message about the n being out of order.

[QUOTE=jasong;106660]I'm having trouble removing factors. The following DO NOT work.
[code]srfile -k 5-6.txt (changed name of file)

srfile -k factors5.txt (the original name of the file)
[/QUOTE]

First note that srfile and srsieve can't read or write .dat format files. Sr2sieve can read .dat files if it is given the -s (or -r) switch, but can't write them.

If the factors file is called `factors.txt' and the sieve file you want to remove them from is called `sieve.txt', and you want to create an ABCD file, then run

srfile -k factors.txt -a sieve.txt

the new file name will be chosen by srfile, it will end in .abcd, but you can rename it to whatever you want. The `-a' means to write the output in ABCD format, the input format is worked out automatically.

jasong 2007-05-22 16:46

[QUOTE=geoff;106674]If the factors file is called `factors.txt' and the sieve file you want to remove them from is called `sieve.txt', and you want to create an ABCD file, then run

srfile -k factors.txt -a sieve.txt

the new file name will be chosen by srfile, it will end in .abcd, but you can rename it to whatever you want. The `-a' means to write the output in ABCD format, the input format is worked out automatically.[/QUOTE]
Will [code]srfile -k factors[b]*[/b].txt -a sieve.txt[/code]work as well?

jasong 2007-05-22 20:38

Yes, that does work as well.

Sieves like there's no tomorrow.

I'm reserving 6-56 billion. Everything above 56(including 56) is available. One core of my Pentium-D can sieve about a million p a second, so my reservation is probably woefully inadequate.

Anyone who wants the file, email jasong at conwaycorp dot net with subject: "base-4 file request" If you want to tell me anything via email, label it "base-4" but put something else other than "file request" after "base-4"

Edit:Correction 6-1000

geoff 2007-05-23 00:44

[QUOTE=jasong;106738]Will [code]srfile -k factors[b]*[/b].txt -a sieve.txt[/code]work as well?[/QUOTE]

No, it can only handle one file of factors at a time. Any additional files it will attempt to read as input sieve files.

BTW if you are running the Linux/x86-64 version of sr2sieve, don't use versions 1.5.1 - 1.5.3.

jasong 2007-05-23 01:07

How big is the bad version? Mine is 88776 bytes. I'm running the AMD version.

geoff 2007-05-23 01:34

[QUOTE=jasong;106773]How big is the bad version? Mine is 88776 bytes. I'm running the AMD version.[/QUOTE]
If you are running the sr2sieve-amd executable then you are not affected, only the 64-bit version has the bug.

jasong 2007-05-27 01:32

Am I going to be the only one sieving? I'm not complaining, it's just a question.

Anybody else want to join in on this?

jasong 2007-05-31 21:03

reserved 1000-2000

(at 975G, it's 99 sec per factor)

jasong 2007-06-09 20:45

As soon as I get to 2000G, I'm probably going to be moving on to something else. It would be nice if someone could take over handing out the file.

When I finish, I'm going to zip up the sieving file and all the factors found files(after removing factors), and email it to whoever requests the information. I'm hoping at least one person will want the file, so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

tcadigan 2007-06-10 04:31

[QUOTE=jasong;108027]
When I finish, I'm going to zip up the sieving file and all the factors found files(after removing factors), and email it to whoever requests the information. I'm hoping at least one person will want the file, so I don't have to worry about it anymore.[/QUOTE]

as before...I'm interested in the file. same addy as before too please, thanks for the contributions!