mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Software (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Prime95 v30.3 (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=25823)

pinhodecarlos 2020-08-15 16:55

So on readme.txt you have ProofPower examples from 7 to 10, but on undoc.txt you state that ProofPower can go from 5 to 12., which one prevails? Is the former only to show examples?

edit: Upload runs fine from UK buy my upload speed is way above the UK average. Good work!

storm5510 2020-08-15 17:37

There is one thing about the running of certifications I do not understand, the download limit. This is in megabytes. I am running a certification now. The only thing I see is the assignment line in [I]worktodo.txt[/I]. I guess I was expecting to see something larger downloaded. :confused:

firejuggler 2020-08-15 17:44

[QUOTE=pinhodecarlos;553803]So on readme.txt you have ProofPower examples from 7 to 10, but on undoc.txt you state that ProofPower can go from 5 to 12., which one prevails? Is the former only to show examples?

edit: Upload runs fine from UK buy my upload speed is way above the UK average. Good work![/QUOTE]

From what i've seen, the 'usual' power for 87M cert is a ProofPower of 8. Whith an additionnal spare space of 10 G, I work with a PP ( spare the jokes) of 9. Each adittionnal PP double the temp file space needed, for a marginal speed increase.

Prime95 2020-08-15 19:00

[QUOTE=pinhodecarlos;553803]So on readme.txt you have ProofPower examples from 7 to 10, but on undoc.txt you state that ProofPower can go from 5 to 12., which one prevails? Is the former only to show examples?[/QUOTE]

The readme contains a subset of possible proof powers (the ones I'm trying to encourage).

The actual proof power is determined by the available temp disk space (up to the maximum proof power that makes sense).

Going into more detail than is necessary, if you don't give prime95 much temp disk space it will run a 7-by-2, 6-by-2, or 5-by-3 proof. A 7-by-2 is a power=7 proof on the first half and again on the second half of the PRP test. This simulates a power=8 proof using half the disk space and twice the bandwidth.

[QUOTE=storm5510;553806]There is one thing about the running of certifications I do not understand, the download limit. This is in megabytes. I am running a certification now. The only thing I see is the assignment line in [I]worktodo.txt[/I]. I guess I was expecting to see something larger downloaded. :confused:[/QUOTE]

When the CERT starts it downloads a 13MB starting value for wavefront exponents. If you set your daily download limit to 4MB, you will get no more than one wavefront CERT assignment every 3 days.

[QUOTE=firejuggler;553807]From what i've seen, the 'usual' power for 87M cert is a ProofPower of 8. Whith an additionnal spare space of 10 G, I work with a PP ( spare the jokes) of 9. Each adittionnal PP double the temp file space needed, for a marginal speed increase.[/QUOTE]

Correct, except that power=9 is the maximum. Power 10 becomes a possibility at 108,000,000.

pinhodecarlos 2020-08-15 19:25

Thank you for the above details.
Have a fast landline connection but a slower PC, will have to run the PRP DC CF or PRP CF only. Is there a way to only accept CERT work done by front wave? Have the bandwidth but not the CPU power for first time PRP.

Prime95 2020-08-15 19:52

[QUOTE=pinhodecarlos;553815]Thank you for the above details.
Have a fast landline connection but a slower PC, will have to run the PRP DC CF or PRP CF only. Is there a way to only accept CERT work done by front wave? Have the bandwidth but not the CPU power for first time PRP.[/QUOTE]

There is no way at present to control the type of CERT work you get. If a particular type of CERT work is objectionable, simply set download MB limit to zero and you won't get any. CERT firepower is not a problem for GIMPS.

P.S. In the last 24 hours we certified well over 100 wavefront proofs, probably closer to 150. All done by a relatively small number of beta testers.

Prime95 2020-08-15 23:33

I've given up on ATH & Uncwilly's disappearing "99,0" for PRP-CF assignments. I tried to reproduce in 30.3 and 29.8 with an upgrade to 30.3. No luck. Code review -- no luck. Whatever the problem is/was, its subtle.

storm5510 2020-08-15 23:40

[QUOTE=Prime95;553811]...When the CERT starts it downloads a 13MB starting value for wavefront exponents. If you set your daily download limit to 4MB, you will get no more than one wavefront CERT assignment every 3 days...[/QUOTE]

I think there may be a verbiage confusion. From a user's perspective, a "download" would come from Primenet to the them. "Upload" would be from them to Primenet. This is why the math threw me until I saw the example above. By changing that particular setting, I change how much I am sending to Primenet. This makes far more sense, and explains the bandwidth settings.

Thank you for your reply.

Uncwilly 2020-08-16 02:10

The problem only occurred on 1 of the 2 machines that I upgraded. And it was all in the Worker 2 queue.

kriesel 2020-08-17 17:11

"insufficient ram to ever run stage 2."

I installed prime95 v30.3b2 on a new build with old components in an even older case I had gutted. Gave it some work to do while the Celeron1840 was not busy feeding gpus. Was surprised to see a 6GB system yield a stage-1-only P-1 run for M122582657, then the error message in the title, since I've run P-1 on 2GB elsewhere.
There was an m122582657 file remaining, which I moved to a large memory system for stage 2, which indicated it could do 480 relative primes in one pass.

I then investigated further on the 6GB system.
It turns out that in prime95, v30.3b2, fresh install on a newly built system,
Options, Resource Limits, Advanced,
Daytime and Nighttime P-1/ECM memory limits had defaulted to [B]0[/B] GB.
Other systems had had earlier versions of prime95 upgraded to v30.3b2 and probably already had enlarged P-1 memory limit values in prime.txt.

kruoli 2020-08-17 19:12

Feature request:
What do you think about an option for saving GMP-ECM stage 1 ECM files instead of a line to results.txt, e.g. in the form [c]exponent_B1_sigma.ecm[/c]. That way, it would be a lot easier to automate starting stage 2.
Another question: Could the ECM hook also be applied to P-1, please?