mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Soap Box (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Is it Right to Club Bears? (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=17562)

kladner 2013-02-05 17:34

Recent ad on guns

[YOUTUBE]UmVLznif9u0[/YOUTUBE]

It calls out one of the senators I most love to hate.

cheesehead 2013-02-05 19:36

[QUOTE=chalsall;322557]
Although I did find it very strange how strongly the US of A's Republicans were against universal health care....[/QUOTE]The party of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism]"American Exceptionalism"[/url] is against almost anything that's universal, except compliance with their worldview.

kladner 2013-02-06 02:05

Universal Health Care, combined with controls on the costs of said care would greatly displease many Congress Critters' owners who might be in that line of business. We spend more than any other advanced country and get less. All that loot is going somewhere. If the gravy train were derailed it would cut into the [STRIKE]legal bribes[/STRIKE] campaign contributions, not to mention cushy billets when said critters leave office.

Zeta-Flux 2013-02-18 16:58

[URL="http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/02/18/tv-can-improve-kids-behavior-study-finds/"]Watching TV as a kid connected to antisocial/criminal behaviors.[/URL]

Andrew 2013-02-18 17:17

[QUOTE=ewmayer;321819]That would be more comforting if there weren't way too many to begin with, i.e. if the historical U.S. baseline weren't so horrifying.

I'm sure "total annual handgun fatalities in the U.S." has not increased significantly above its historically "normal" level of roughly 30,000 per year, either. And hey, most of those are suicides, so no biggie there.

Typically, the 2nd amendment absolutists (while utterly ignoring the "well-regulated militia" framing of the amendment by its authors), like [url=http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=214983]Karl Denninger[/url] are arguing that the "solution" is for all schools to be turned into heavily fortified bunkers with armed, kung fu expert teachers. How about a Patriot missile battery on every rooftop while we're at it, Karl?[/QUOTE]

There are people like me who don't particularly care for guns one way or the other, but who believe in following the constitution.

If we get to pick in choose which parts to follow and which ones not, we are going to get in (and already are) in trouble. The problem stretches from illegal use of executive force against foreign nations, to the problem of Bank cartel owned money printing presses, to illegal electronic surveillance.

Back to guns, what has been ignored about the "militia" part? The amendment can be restated as:

"Since we agree that a militia is needed to keep the state free, we therefor conclude that the government won't be allowed to prevent people from being armed." The first part states the reason, but that is immaterial to the actual rule following in the second part. You can't come back and say we disagree about the first part without amending the constitution, and you certainly can't change the rule either.

On to missiles on the roof. Missiles aren't prohibited so much as they are far too expensive for people to own, or the technology was invented by the government and they have the right to keep it classified, which is not the same as banning the weapon.

Also, your assumption that 'if we legalize a weapon, then everyone will have one' is a fallacious slippery slope argument, just as ridiculous as the gun nuts saying if you ban them, then the government will have a clear path to tyranny and take it piece by piece. If they legalize missiles, I won't be having one on my roof, and I'm certain you won't have one on your roof.

On another point, these semi auto "assault weapons" are moders day muskets. You could say that rocket launchers are modern day cannons.

If you want to get rid of guns, and you think banning them will accomplish this, then take it up with 3/4 of state legislatures.

chalsall 2013-02-18 17:20

[QUOTE=Zeta-Flux;329939][URL="http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/02/18/tv-can-improve-kids-behavior-study-finds/"]Watching TV as a kid connected to antisocial/criminal behaviors.[/URL][/QUOTE]

My "take-away":

[QUOTE]However, [the study] cannot show evidence that the number of hours watched causes criminality. Correlation, yes. Causation, no[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]“It’s hard to imagine seeing the same results if they had just watched PBS documentaries,” said Christakis. “More emphasis needs to be placed on quality, not quantity.”[/QUOTE]

As an aside, does not everyone realize we've generally found [U]less[/U] violence happening over time per capita? It has been suggested, but not yet proven, that this is because of less lead exposure.

Sadly, "peace" and "harmony" doesn't sell; violence does....

chalsall 2013-02-18 17:32

[QUOTE=Andrew;329942]On another point, these semi auto "assault weapons" are moders day muskets. You could say that rocket launchers are modern day cannons.[/QUOTE]

Andrew...

Using your logic, the US of A's constitution second amendment gives every citizen the right to develop and use nuclear weapons.

Those who wrote the Constitution could not have imagined the future.

But I would bet that a large-magazine, rifled automatic high-accuracy weapon used to kill their fellow citizens was not in their minds when they wrote that.

Just a thought....

Andrew 2013-02-18 17:37

[QUOTE=chalsall;329944]Andrew...

Using your logic, the US of A's constitution second amendment gives every citizen the right to develop and use nuclear weapons.

Those who wrote the Constitution could not have imagined the future.

But I would bet that a large-magazine, rifled automatic high-accuracy weapon used to kill their fellow citizens was not in their minds when they wrote that.

Just a thought....[/QUOTE]

if its as dire of a situation as you make it out to be, the founders envisioned a way to amend the constitution in such a case.

"Being inappropriate for the militia to bear nuclear weapons in any case, as it would not affect the security of the free state if they did not, the right of the people to keep and bear nuclear devices shall henceforth be prohibited."

chalsall 2013-02-18 17:40

[QUOTE=Andrew;329946]"Being inappropriate for the militia to bear nuclear weapons in any case, as it would not affect the security of the free state if they did not, the right of the people to keep and bear nuclear devices shall henceforth be prohibited."[/QUOTE]

Could you please cite that?

Andrew 2013-02-18 22:21

[QUOTE=chalsall;329947]Could you please cite that?[/QUOTE]

I don't have to, I authored it.

That's the amendment proposal I'll take down to the constitutional convention for you.

chalsall 2013-02-18 22:25

[QUOTE=Andrew;329970]I don't have to, I authored it.

That's the amendment proposal I'll take down to the constitutional convention for you.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.