mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Raiders of the Lost Primes (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Welcome (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=10867)

gd_barnes 2008-10-28 23:35

Welcome

Welcome all prime searchers to "Raiders of the Lost Primes". The aim of the team is to find primes that have been 'left behind' by others as well as create a community of sharing information about prime numbers and technical issues related to prime searching.

I have been "elected" team owner but am perfectly happy to give up the 'post' to someone else as admin duties for 2 projects keep me quite entertained already. :-)

To join the team or indicate an interest in 'owning' the team, please post your intention in [URL="http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=10826"]this thread[/URL].

This post will be edited to include more information as it becomes available.

Gary

em99010pepe 2008-11-04 23:26

Is this dead?

IronBits 2008-11-05 03:49

Yup, I think it's dead... but don't poke it to hard, it might wake up :wink:

gd_barnes 2008-11-05 21:41

No activity going on at the moment. With the next rally, it'll liven up I'm sure. :smile:

em99010pepe 2008-12-06 13:25

It is dead.

mdettweiler 2008-12-06 20:56

[quote=em99010pepe;152216]It is dead.[/quote]
Man, we've got to do something to resuscitate this team forum...how about we challenge Free-DC to a head-to-head duel to see who can produce the most results between now and the end of the month? :smile:

gd_barnes 2008-12-11 05:32

Oops. Carlos poked us too hard and we woke up. lol

The challenge is on. It's ROLP vs. Free-DC to see who can do the most results by the end of this month. All ports count including the ports that we'll have for the n>600K drives.

Three questions:
1. When will be the official starting date and time?
2. How will we tabulate the results?
3. Should we allow manual results? If so, how will we know when those pairs were processed?

Gary

mdettweiler 2008-12-11 05:41

[quote=gd_barnes;152844]Oops. Carlos poked us too hard and we woke up. lol

The challenge is on. It's ROLP vs. Free-DC to see who can do the most results by the end of this month. All ports count including the ports that we'll have for the n>600K drives.

Three questions:
1. When will be the official starting date and time?
2. How will we tabulate the results?
3. Should we allow manual results? If so, how will we know when those pairs were processed?

Gary[/quote]
How about we officially start counting results from 12 A.M. GMT on Friday?

As for manual results: maybe we could just count anything that posted as complete between 12 A.M. GMT Friday (12/12) and the end of the month? We're close enough to Friday that I doubt anyone (except maybe Lennart, who isn't on either of the dueling teams anyway) would be able to stockpile enough k/n pairs crunched today in order to make any noticeable difference in the final outcome. :smile:

gd_barnes 2008-12-11 05:55

[quote=mdettweiler;152849]How about we officially start counting results from 12 A.M. GMT on Friday?

As for manual results: maybe we could just count anything that posted as complete between 12 A.M. GMT Friday (12/12) and the end of the month? We're close enough to Friday that I doubt anyone (except maybe Lennart, who isn't on either of the dueling teams anyway) would be able to stockpile enough k/n pairs crunched today in order to make any noticeable difference in the final outcome. :smile:[/quote]

OK, sounds good. I want to clarify something here. I've always found that when someone states that something should start at 12 AM or midnight on a certain day, that it can be a little ambiguous. To make sure I understand you right, I'm assuming that you mean 1 minute before 12:01 AM GMT on Friday morning, i.e. 7 PM EST or 6 PM CST on Thursday night. Correct?

One more thing, who should tabulate the results?

Gary

MyDogBuster 2008-12-11 08:16

[QUOTE]The challenge is on. It's ROLP vs. Free-DC to see who can do the most results by the end of this month. All ports count including the ports that we'll have for the n>600K drives.
[/QUOTE]

Cool. FOOD FIGHT

Flatlander 2008-12-11 12:04

[quote=gd_barnes;152850]OK, sounds good. I want to clarify something here. I've always found that when someone states that something should start at 12 AM or midnight on a certain day, that it can be a little ambiguous. To make sure I understand you right, I'm assuming that you mean 1 minute before 12:01 AM GMT on Friday morning, i.e. 7 PM EST or 6 PM CST on Thursday night. Correct?

One more thing, who should tabulate the results?

Gary[/quote]
Yes, I was confused. I think midnight is neither A.M. or P.M.
[URL]http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/noon.htm[/URL]
(Though I was more drawn to the ad at the top "5 Tips For A Flat Stomach". lol)