mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Software (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Blend Torture Test Error (No Windows Pagefile) (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=2194)

Unregistered 2004-03-08 07:56

Blend Torture Test Error (No Windows Pagefile)

I've just downloaded the latest version and tried to run the torture test. When I choose the 'blend' option I get an application error prompting me to close the program.

It says 'dwwin Application Error-The Application failed to initialize properly (0xc000012d). Click on OK to terminate the application.'

If I select the other two torture tests above the blend option they appear to run properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks Dave

Unregistered 2004-03-08 15:05

There have been reports that the blend torture test does not run properly if Windows does not have a pagefile

Unregistered 2004-03-08 17:16

You may have hit the nail on the head as I have no page file in Windows! The other 2 tests directly above the 'blend' test seem to run properly so I'll just use them. I take it these will still stress the system sufficiently?

Thanks

Dave

Prime95 2004-03-08 21:41

The in-place test will torture your machine quite well.

Unregistered 2004-03-08 22:03

OK. Thanks for that

Dave

Unregistered 2004-04-05 10:08

[QUOTE=Unregistered]I've just downloaded the latest version and tried to run the torture test. When I choose the 'blend' option I get an application error prompting me to close the program.

It says 'dwwin Application Error-The Application failed to initialize properly (0xc000012d). Click on OK to terminate the application.'

If I select the other two torture tests above the blend option they appear to run properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks Dave[/QUOTE]

Unregistered 2004-04-06 04:08

The blend test crashes if you do not have a swap file. Just run the in-place test.

_Michaelangelo_ 2004-06-01 20:39

BUG: Torture Test closing/crashing Prime95

Version: 23.8.1
Torture Test: Blend

Paging file: Disabled
Hardware: AMD 2100 XP
Memory: 512 Megs (2 x Corsair TWIN512-3200LLPT)

The initial torture test worked fine, but once I manually run a Blend Torture Test, Prime95 closes.

Prime95 2004-06-01 21:33

Do you have a page file (known crash bug if one isn't present)? Use in-place testing or custom with reduced memory as a work-around

_Michaelangelo_ 2004-06-02 00:08

[QUOTE=Prime95]Do you have a page file (known crash bug if one isn't present)? Use in-place testing or custom with reduced memory as a work-around[/QUOTE]

Sounds like this is a known crash bug then as my page file is set to none.
Better to report a duplicate bug, then not to report at all. :)

I may fiddle with the memory usage to see if there a consistent theshold that causes the crash. Hey, if someone can't reproduce the crash, it can't get fixed.

Cheers

_Michaelangelo_ 2004-06-02 01:22

Ok, here's a little more info on the bug...

It looks like the Prime95 is doing a malloc() and assumes the pointer is valid. Deferencing the null pointer crashes the app.

Checking into commonb.c, we see
gwarray = (gwnum *) malloc( num_gwnums * sizeof( gwnum ));
and no error checking is done, i.e. if (!gwarray) ...

It should be trivial to pop up a dialog box, or spit out a warning message that Prime95 failed to allocated the requested RAM amount.

I'd be happy to submit a patch, but I'm unable to get the code compile :( (Haven't upgraded to DevStudio 7)