mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   GPU to 72 (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   GPU72 proxy ignores work type changes (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=18047)

Bdot 2013-04-01 22:33

GPU72 proxy ignores work type changes

Hi, I recently changed in prime95 the worktypes of my 3 worker threads from P-1, DC, DC to P-1, P-1, P-1. Now the last DC of thread#2 was about to be finished and to my surprise, GPU72 handed out another DC.

On GPU72, the computer is listed as 3 threads, P-1 worktype (not sure how it would list it if the threads had different ones). On primenet, thread#2 and #3 are still listed as P-1.

How can I switch the work type on the GPU72 proxy?

chalsall 2013-04-01 22:56

[QUOTE=Bdot;335745]Hi, I recently changed in prime95 the worktypes of my 3 worker threads from P-1, DC, DC to P-1, P-1, P-1. Now the last DC of thread#2 was about to be finished and to my surprise, GPU72 handed out another DC.

On GPU72, the computer is listed as 3 threads, P-1 worktype (not sure how it would list it if the threads had different ones). On primenet, thread#2 and #3 are still listed as P-1.

How can I switch the work type on the GPU72 proxy?[/QUOTE]

Could you please PM me the machine's name, and/or CID?

All proxy messages are logged for analysis. To deal with situations like this.

There is a known bug with Prime95/mprime not correctly reporting its desired worktype before requesting work. This might be the case here. On the other hand, maybe I made a mistake.

petrw1 2013-09-21 04:04

Me too....

... PM'd

chalsall 2013-09-21 17:50

[QUOTE=petrw1;353676]... PM'd[/QUOTE]

Received.

kladner 2013-12-18 06:27

After a smooth switch from P-1 to DC on all eight cores, I decided to switch one core back. This happened without problems. Now I have tried to change more cores to P-1, and they stubbornly remain DC. I have messed with the Worker Windows settings, both as a group at once, and one at a time. I have switched to LL, saved, then switched back to P-1. I have run repeated Manual Communications. When I set Send New Date, it will update/remove DC's I have unreserved on GPU72, if I have Days of Work set to 1. When I up DoW to 5, more DC's are acquired. I have been through Prime Net settings, changing back and forth. This includes not only the Preferred Work page, but also navigating 'My Account > CPU's > [computer name] and messing with the individual Core/Work Thread settings.

I am baffled. Perhaps sleeping on it will let the various systems get synchronized. Nonetheless, Chris, I will PM the name to you.

kladner 2013-12-18 13:15

For the moment, I have resorted to manual Get Work from GPU72 for P-1, for two workers. I arrange a worktodo.add the way I want it, and load up enough assignments to stay well ahead of the Days of Work to Queue value. The P-1's are going to workers 5 and 6 (which are also set to P-1 in Worker Windows), while the rest are set to DC.

The pessimist in me expects that the DC workers will now decide to change over to P-1 when their current assignments complete. :smile:

petrw1 2013-12-18 14:36

[QUOTE=kladner;362387]For the moment, I have resorted to manual Get Work from GPU72 for P-1, for two workers. I arrange a worktodo.add the way I want it, and load up enough assignments to stay well ahead of the Days of Work to Queue value. The P-1's are going to workers 5 and 6 (which are also set to P-1 in Worker Windows), while the rest are set to DC.

The pessimist in me expects that the DC workers will now decide to change over to P-1 when their current assignments complete. :smile:[/QUOTE]

With a little advice from Chris and a lot of trial I have determined good things come in 3's. This should work....it does for me:
If you want worker#1 changed to DC for example:
1. Change it to anything else and "Send new end dates"
2. Repeat step 1
3. Change it to DC and "Send..." once more.
Has to be right on the 3rd change.

You may get unwanted assigns from steps 1 and 2 you can release.

kladner 2013-12-18 22:21

Thanks, petrw1! I'll give it a shot.