mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   No Prime Left Behind (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Server outrages (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=13840)

AMDave 2011-12-23 23:53

Max contacted me about the database using much more CPU than usual.
I investigated and found a mysql maintenance process was thrashing the database, RAM and HDD, and it had been doing so for quite some time.
The system was in such a tight loop that we could not get a lock on the mysql log file.

The maintenance process is the database log file rotate process and it was creating a new log file every millisecond or so pushing HDD I/O to about 97% and causing a couple of other system logs to fill up.

I have executed the mysql restart command but it is taking some time to bring the database down before it can be restarted.

I'll keep you informed.

AMDave 2011-12-24 00:28

The database is restarted.
The rogue process is gone.
The HDD i/o is back to normal.
The database is responding to PRPNet requests.

AMDave 2011-12-24 01:32

correction.
The PRPNet ports appear to have stopped. :no:
Waiting Max / Gary to restart them.
Apologies to all for the interruption.

AMDave 2011-12-24 02:42

According to the Port Report all appears to be working.
Just me having a panic attack.

mdettweiler 2011-12-24 02:59

Yep, I just restarted all the PRPnet servers. They had been thrown for a loop by the rather drastic mysqld restart but are all good now. :smile:

AMDave 2011-12-24 03:36

Thanks Max.

Lennart 2011-12-24 11:14

[QUOTE=AMDave;283388]correction.
The PRPNet ports appear to have stopped. :no:
Waiting Max / Gary to restart them.
Apologies to all for the interruption.[/QUOTE]

And this was supose to happend today :devil::devil:

Happy hollydays To all.....

Lennart

MyDogBuster 2012-03-07 18:14

Is it just me or does Gary's site seem to be down? This could be a problem because Gary is out of town till Friday.

gd_barnes 2012-03-07 20:49

[QUOTE=MyDogBuster;292219]Is it just me or does Gary's site seem to be down? This could be a problem because Gary is out of town till Friday.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is down. Blast! There's no way to restart it until late Friday. I hope I just had an extended power outage and can just turn it back on. The UPS will keep the machine up for a little over an hour during an outage. If it's the hard drive, motherboard, or power supply, that will be a bigger hassle.

I'm sorry everyone. Very bad timing.

Gary

gd_barnes 2012-03-08 00:21

Hey this is Tammy Gary's girlfriend and I got his internet back up and running.The server should be running correctly now. Gary will be on in about nine hours. Sorry about the problem.

kar_bon 2012-03-08 00:45

This is Gary's co-mod... and yes... it's running again! Thanks :grin:

gd_barnes 2012-03-08 10:10

Back at the hotel room now...

Well that was rather humurous and annoying at the same time. My gf knocked the internet plug out of my router while vacumming. It took a few verbal instructions over the phone before we figured out what happened. Being unfamiliar with how the forum works, she hadn't realized that she got the message to post the first couple of times. I was away from my hotel and had difficulty explaining it all over the phone. I've now deleted all but her first message.

She gets a woopin' when I get back. lol That's the 2nd time she's disconnected me. The first time, it was the main cable/internet/phone connection in the basement.

Thankfully it was nothing with the server machine, which would have been a big headache. Once again, sorry for the outage.

aketilander 2012-03-08 10:34

[QUOTE=gd_barnes;292313]My gf knocked the internet plug out of my router while vacumming.[/QUOTE]

Well, a couple of months ago I couldn't understand why one of my machines was powered of from time to time. Finally I realized that my youngest doughter had bought a kitten. That cat liked to be on top of the warm machine ... and that machine had its power on/off button on top. :smile:

AMDave 2012-03-08 11:48

[QUOTE=gd_barnes;292270]Hey this is Tammy Gary's girlfriend and I got his internet back up and running.The server should be running correctly now. Gary will be on in about nine hours. Sorry about the problem.[/QUOTE]
Great job on the fix, Tammy Gary's girlfriend!
Problem? Hardly even noticed. No idea what he's on about.
Burn his toast and chill his coffee. It'll remind him things could be worse. :P
Or ... maybe not. Because then they actually would be. hahaha
But thanks for plugging the router cable back in. :smile:

AMDave 2012-03-14 09:18

latest nplbstats offsite backup download completed for 2012-03-13. :smile:

AMDave 2012-04-01 02:55

latest nplbstats offsite backup download completed for 2012-03-31. :smile:

AMDave 2012-04-26 20:25

latest nplbstats offsite backup download completed for 2012-04-26.

AMDave 2012-05-08 20:14

latest nplbstats offsite backup download completed for 2012-05-08.

AMDave 2012-05-23 14:50

NPLB DR process test completed successfully 2012-05-20. :smile:
Note - this is confirmed for the stats db and web only
recovery procedure doc is being updated and will be committed tomorrow.

AMDave 2012-05-23 20:18

latest nplbstats offsite backup download completed for 2012-05-23

MyDogBuster 2012-05-26 06:20

Looks like Gary's servers down. At least from my end.

gd_barnes 2012-05-26 09:00

Should be OK now. Sorry about the problem.

AMDave 2012-05-29 10:42

Complete backup set offsite download completed for 2012-05-27. (4.4GB)

MyDogBuster 2012-05-31 02:55

Looks like the servers down again. Summertime in Kansas? Storms?

gd_barnes 2012-05-31 05:39

I can't say what caused it this time. Last time, the router had to be recycled to give my kid's laptop access. For some reason sometimes, this also causes the server machine to have to have its internet cable unplugged and replugged, which I had failed to do. But this time, the router was not recycled yet the internet dropped and I had to do the unplug and replug thing again. That fixed it. I may have a bad internet cable for my server machine. When I get around to it, I'll get another one.

MyDogBuster 2012-05-31 05:56

I have similar problems with my router. It get's looping once in a while because of traffic jams or ISP tomfoolery and needs it's power plug pulled and inserted again. I've gotten into the habit of doing it whenever I'm on that side of the room.

I also do my cable modem about once a week just because it's there. LOL

AMDave 2012-06-06 09:02

I think my router is pretty good. I just have trouble with corners. They come out fairly rough so I have to do a lot of sanding afterwards. :P ;)

AMDave 2012-06-25 07:40

Complete backup set offsite download completed for 2012-06-24. (4.4GB)

mdettweiler 2012-07-18 02:45

All noprimeleftbehind.net services appear to be down right now--I can't get through to the website or any of the servers. Perhaps more router issues?

gd_barnes 2012-07-18 04:24

I am out of town until Friday. It appears that there was a power blip at the house and for some reason the UPS did not kick in to prevent the server machine from going down. Fortunately my girlfriend was there. I was able to step her through restarting main prpnet ports 1468, 1470, 2000, and 9000. I didn't know the command by heart to give her to restart the LLRnet servers so those will be down until Friday.

I just checked the various web and server pages for NPLB and CRUS. They are not up even though the servers are running. I do not know why without being there so those will also have to wait until Friday.

Sorry about the problems.

gd_barnes 2012-07-18 04:53

I just had another talk with the girlfriend. The server machine has turned itself off for a second time. This means that there is a larger issue than just a power blip; perhaps a bad UPS, power strip, power supply, or mobo. Unfortunately nothing can be done about it until Friday or Saturday.

Sorry everyone.

MyDogBuster 2012-07-19 02:10

Strange happenings. I can sometimes get to the Sierp pages but never to the Riesel pages. Something has you server machine pegged to the floor board cause it takes forever to get the Sierp pages.

I wonder if that MYSQLD problem has re-appeared? It was pegging the machine because of MYSQL looping.

Maybe Dave can look at it.

mdettweiler 2012-07-19 04:08

[QUOTE=MyDogBuster;305140]Strange happenings. I can sometimes get to the Sierp pages but never to the Riesel pages. Something has you server machine pegged to the floor board cause it takes forever to get the Sierp pages.

I wonder if that MYSQLD problem has re-appeared? It was pegging the machine because of MYSQL looping.

Maybe Dave can look at it.[/QUOTE]
Hmm...you're saying that you can presently get to the Sierp. pages? That's very strange--because I can't get into anything on the server (web, SSH, PRPnet).

I do wonder if a pegged CPU because of a problematic mysqld could cause something like this; as far as I know, mysqld runs at normal priority, whch means that it's (theoretically) supposed to share time on the CPU scheduler with other processes at the same or higher priority. When we had mysqld CPU issues in the past, the server was still fully operative, just a bit sluggish; we mainly noticed it because it was hogging CPU cycles from the PRPnet clients Gary has running on the machine. :smile: That time, Dave and I were able to get into the machine remotely without issue; now when I try to connect by SSH, it just times out.

MyDogBuster 2012-07-19 06:33

[QUOTE]Hmm...you're saying that you can presently get to the Sierp. pages? That's very strange--because I can't get into anything on the server (web, SSH, PRPnet).[/QUOTE]I can get the CRUS Sierp pages anytime I want, but not the Riesel pages. I've tried all my links, but that is the only one that works. Very strange indeed. Note: I cleared my cookies and I can still get the Sierp page, but I can't go from the Sierp page to the Riesel page.

MySQLD if it is looping because of a broken chain caused by the power blip might be in a very tight loop and therefore eating everything. It would be a stretch if that was the cause but I'd look at everything.

Kinda sounds like the machine didn't boot up correctly after the power blip. I'd have Gary's main squeeze re-cycle it again after powering it off, not just restarting it.

AMDave 2012-07-19 09:01

I cannot connect directly to the server either. Ah. Just read Gary's last post above.

Otherwise we have off-system backups up to the previous day and can rebuild pretty quickly. My recovery plan is tested and proven up to about a month or so ago - in this thread somewhere up there ^^^

Apologies for the interruption.

We will give you an update as soon as new information comes to hand.

gd_barnes 2012-07-20 22:48

The servers and web pages are back up. It is still unclear what caused the machine to shut down. I'll keep monitoring it on and off as the night goes along.

Once again, sorry for the interruption.

AMDave 2012-08-07 15:07

NPLB server response might be slow for a couple of hours from now while I perform the off-site backup copy for 2012-08-05. Just 2 more files to go, but they are big ones. Almost done.

AMDave 2012-08-07 23:04

Complete backup set offsite download completed for 2012-08-05. (4.1GB) :smile:

AMDave 2012-09-15 13:14

Complete backup set offsite download completed for 2012-09-14. (4.2GB)

AMDave 2012-10-16 01:00

Complete backup set offsite download in progress for 2012-10-15 - E.T.F. approx 5 hours from posting

AMDave 2012-10-17 01:49

Complete backup set offsite download completed for 2012-10-15. (4.3GB)

AMDave 2012-11-13 00:08

Complete backup set offsite download completed for 2012-11-11. (4.1GB)

MyDogBuster 2012-11-16 07:13

I can't get to any of Garys' pages. I think the server is down.
Anyone else having problems?

AMDave 2012-11-16 10:26

confirmed.
The server is ok. Ports, Databases, Webserver etc. all confirmed fine.
I tracked it down to the DynamicDNS for [url]www.noprimeleftbehind.net[/url]
The other one works: [url]http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org/stats/[/url]
I restarted the dynamic dns update but it hasn't fixed the issue.
Need Gary/Max to log on to the domain config & router to check.

MyDogBuster 2012-11-16 15:05

[QUOTE]The server is ok. Ports, Databases, Webserver etc. all confirmed fine.
I tracked it down to the DynamicDNS for [URL="http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net"]www.noprimeleftbehind.net[/URL]
The other one works: [URL]http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org/stats/[/URL]
Need Gary/Max to log on to the domain config & router to check. [/QUOTE]

Ah, the old "someone changed my ip address" stuff again.

I thought Gary got a static ip address.

gd_barnes 2012-11-16 19:39

[QUOTE=MyDogBuster;318575]Ah, the old "someone changed my ip address" stuff again.

I thought Gary got a static ip address.[/QUOTE]

I tried but my router wouldn't accept one.

gd_barnes 2012-11-16 19:44

[QUOTE=AMDave;318536]confirmed.
The server is ok. Ports, Databases, Webserver etc. all confirmed fine.
I tracked it down to the DynamicDNS for [URL="http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net"]www.noprimeleftbehind.net[/URL]
The other one works: [URL]http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org/stats/[/URL]
Need Gary/Max to log on to the domain config & router to check.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with how to do this. I'll send an emergency Email to Max.

In the mean time, as stated by Dave, you can access the pages with, i.e. [URL]http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org/crus/Riesel-conjectures.htm[/URL] or [URL]http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org/stats[/URL] or to access the server stats page it would be [URL]http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org:1400/all.html[/URL] or to access the servers themselves in your prpnet.ini file, it would be [URL]http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org:1400[/URL].

AMDave 2012-11-16 21:29

I have 'fiddled' with the domain's public IP address and we should now be working again on all channels.

If it were to be a sustained problem, yes I'd change the base URLs but that should not be necessary now.

I will monitor for much of the day (it is hot outside :smile: )

gd_barnes 2012-11-16 22:02

[QUOTE=AMDave;318636]I have 'fiddled' with the domain's public IP address and we should now be working again on all channels.

If it were to be a sustained problem, yes I'd change the base URLs but that should not be necessary now.

I will monitor for much of the day (it is hot outside :smile: )[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that everything is working now. Thanks Dave!

Better news, with help from Dave, I was able to understand how to fix this problem if it happens again in the future. I also have given him my UserID and password at the EasyDNS domain site. Now there are two of us that can fix the issue. Since he's almost halfway across the world from me, hopefully we should have the better part of each day covered and so we should be able to get it fixed fairly quickly in the future.

AMDave 2012-11-16 22:23

The 24-hour dashboard confirms we are rolling again.
[url]http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/stats/index.php?content=dashboard[/url]

mdettweiler 2012-11-18 03:11

Ah, excellent...I just logged in to fix the problem and see it's already set. Glad to see it's working again. :smile:

AMDave 2012-11-19 20:23

I can't connect to the server. Hopefully it's just me.

Lennart 2012-11-19 20:27

[QUOTE=AMDave;318967]I can't connect to the server. Hopefully it's just me.[/QUOTE]

Same here...

Lennart

EDIT Working now

gd_barnes 2012-11-19 22:50

My server machine is acting a little flaky today. It shut itself off twice for no apparent reason, the first time around 8 PM GMT and now again around 10:30 PM GMT. The power supply and mobo are good. With this second shutoff, I let it run through the full check disk operation upon startup. It took about 5-10 minutes. It found a few errors on the hard drive that it has now corrected. That may have been the issue. Unfortunately right now it is having difficulty connecting to the internet so I'm working on it. Hopefully it won't be too long. I'll edit this post when all is well.

Edit: All is working now.

AMDave 2012-11-23 12:54

Complete backup set offsite download completed for 2012-11-20. (4.4GB)

AMDave 2012-12-05 08:23

I have stopped the stats processing for approx 3 hours while I reconfigure the
results table, keys and indexes to resolve some performance issues.

Dropping MyISAM index on a table with more than 36 million rows takes a while.

I'll post when the stats service has resumed.

AMDave 2012-12-05 14:03

stats are back on.
and it's 32 mil not 36 mil rows.
no idea where I conjured that number from :P

AMDave 2012-12-26 03:42

Complete backup set offsite download completed for 2012-12-24. (4.2GB)

AMDave 2013-01-08 02:19

Complete backup set offsite download completed for 2013-13-07. (4.3GB)

AMDave 2013-01-08 04:33

Oops. I carried the 12 :smile:
2013-01-07 would be the correct backup date.

/me rolls eyes and resumes dribbling

AMDave 2013-01-20 00:48

Complete backup set offsite download completed for 2013-01-19. (4.5GB)

AMDave 2013-02-04 23:27

Complete backup set offsite download completed for 2013-02-04. (4.3GB)

MyDogBuster 2013-02-12 13:21

Hey Dave, I think Gary's out of town and it looks like MYSQLD on his server machine is going bonkers again. I'm getting MYSQL timeout errors when I try to get pairs. Thx in advance.

Lennart 2013-02-12 16:52

[QUOTE=MyDogBuster;329079]Hey Dave, I think Gary's out of town and it looks like MYSQLD on his server machine is going bonkers again. I'm getting MYSQL timeout errors when I try to get pairs. Thx in advance.[/QUOTE]

I can agree on that My clients are idle 70% of the time.

Lennart

MyDogBuster 2013-02-12 17:05

Looks like the LLR servers are working but the PRPNET are not. Weird.

Becoming very unreliable. I really don't have the drive to switch stuff to different ports. Guess I'll just shut them off.

AMDave 2013-02-12 22:18

I cannot reach the server on either of the DNS addresses.
If you have a working LLRNet port, please email / PM me the server address it is using and I will try via that.

FWIW it has been more stable than ever lately judging by the posts above :)

MyDogBuster 2013-02-12 23:33

[QUOTE]If you have a working LLRNet port, please email / PM me the server address it is using and I will try via that.[/QUOTE]

Right now I can't access anything. LLR is also affected now also.

Looks like the server machine or the router needs a re-boot.

AMDave 2013-02-12 23:43

Nah. It's probably running fine. It is more likely a network issue that's preventing us from connecting to it. Unless of course there has been a lot more snow and ice and the power lines came down. We will just have to wait a bit I am afraid.

edit - I checked the local weather. Very cold but otherwise nothing remarkable, so I'm going with the network/ISP hiccup probability.

MyDogBuster 2013-02-13 00:15

[QUOTE]edit - I checked the local weather. Very cold but otherwise nothing remarkable, so I'm going with the network/ISP hiccup probability. [/QUOTE]

Your probably right. The router looms big in this mess, but I think it's localized to this server machine. Actually, this is the only thing I can access.

[url]http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/crus/Riesel-conjectures.htm[/url]

AMDave 2013-02-13 00:22

It doesn't load. I think you have a cached page there. Hit refresh.

Lennart 2013-02-13 01:11

[QUOTE=AMDave;329207]It doesn't load. I think you have a cached page there. Hit refresh.[/QUOTE]

The problem started many days ago and it have being worse every day.

Lennart

AMDave 2013-02-13 01:56

Ahh. So that's what MyDogBuster meant by "Becoming very unreliable". That prpnet port has an issue.
I sent an email to Gary, Max and Karsten 2 days ago about a problem on the prpnet server you two are using which my monitoring scripts were picking up and emailed to me. I was not aware of the symptom that you have been experiencing.
The rest of the server performance has been going swimmingly according to the performance logs that I set up for NPLB stats processing.

That port db is not over-sized so it is not due for a purge, but the indexes may need to be refreshed. Responsiveness falls off the cliff after a while. Once the server is back up I will re-optimize the prpnet databases and you should get much better performance. I have not scheduled an automated optimization of the prpnet databases yet as it locks the tables while they get refreshed and that causes communication error messages on the client end. Maybe it is time to add them to my NPLB optimize script which runs once each week on Sunday morning at about 00:15. A couple of minutes of suffering once a week is better than several days of bad performance every month or two.

I cannot see that this issue would cause the outage though.
More information will come to bear once the server is back and I can dissect the logs.

Lennart 2013-02-13 02:08

[QUOTE=AMDave;329228]I sent an email to Gary, Max and Karsten 2 days ago about a problem on the prpnet server you two are using which my monitoring scripts were picking up and emailed to me. I was not aware of the symptom that you have been experiencing.

That port db is not over-sized so it is not due for a purge, but the indexes may need to be refreshed. Responsiveness falls off the cliff after a while. Once the server is back up I will re-optimize the prpnet databases and you should get much better performance. I have not scheduled an automated optimization of the prpnet databases yet as it locks the tables while they get refreshed and that causes communication error messages on the client end. Maybe it is time to add them to my NPLB optimize script which runs once each week on Sunday morning at about 00:15. A couple of minutes of suffering once a week is better than several days of bad performance every month or two.

I cannot see that this issue would cause the outage though.
More information will come to bear once the server is back and I can dissect the logs.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dave

Lennart

MyDogBuster 2013-02-13 03:59

Really weird happening. It returned to normal for about 5 minutes and I was able to return all my LLR tests and retrieve about 600 more, BUT, it did not do anything with the PRP stuff. Why would the router discriminate? LOL

I think maybe we have 2 problems, the router and PRPNET/MYSQL.

Anyway, it's back to no access again.

AMDave 2013-02-13 05:17

I got logged in.
Monitoring processes.
The optimization of all tables in all databases is in progress.
Hunting for other info now.

AMDave 2013-02-13 06:27

Server itself is ok. Server uptime is > 83 days.
DNS is OK. Router OK. Network/ISP cannot vouch for but not likely to be in a 'bouncing' state.
Likely the database table problem is causing the server to get too busy to talk to us.
problem with one of the 1468 tables.
it could be causing transactions to build up behind it using more RAM than it should
I noticed about 1.5GB of swap space is occupied.
I was rebuilding the table when I got kicked out again
All other tables in all DBs rebuilt successfully.
Just having a problem with this one.
While I was doing it I observed transactions going through so it is working - all ports are working in fact.
Just appears to be an issue with this table in the database.
Got to wait for the condition to resolve again so I can log in again and get it finished.
werkin on it :)

MyDogBuster 2013-02-13 06:58

[QUOTE]Just having a problem with this one.[/QUOTE]

Point of interest. Which table? I'd guess candidatetestresult. It's built on the fly at the most critical time.

AMDave 2013-02-13 07:08

Candidate was the table it was choking on.
CandidateTest also took a very long time.
The rebuild took a long time.
The check+repair+optimize process has finished successfully this time.

I'm monitoring.
I'll trawl through the logs a bit later.

Your clients should be getting busy again.
There's a few more things to do.
I'm checking the HDD for bad blocks atm.

AMDave 2013-02-13 08:39

HDD is clean and healthy and running at 37 C (98.6 F).
Server responsiveness is good.
Comms errors low (currently nil)
Issue appears to be resolved.
I will implement preventative action this evening.

MyDogBuster 2013-02-13 08:52

As usual, a great job Dave. :tu:

AMDave 2013-02-13 09:06

You would think so, but it just went down again within minutes of my last post.
Arg!
It's got to be a network issue.
More diagnostics required.

edit - it came back again, and as before, everything is running fine. I cannot see yet what is causing this.

AMDave 2013-02-13 10:32

1 Attachment(s)
still going up and down
right now its down

henryzz 2013-02-13 10:54

[QUOTE=AMDave;329292]still going up and down
right now its down[/QUOTE]

Are you able to reboot the PC and then get access again?

AMDave 2013-02-13 11:15

Nope. I can't log into it at the moment.
I don't think the server is the problem.
Ram is OK. (running at around 35% usage - using htop)
Disk is OK. (No bad blocks found, SMART test passed - using smartctl short test)
Processes appear to be OK. (using htop and testing IO, reads and writes)
Database is OK. (already completed full mysqlcheck on all databases)
Port servers are OK. (when the connection is up, the ports are serving and recieving ok)
Power is OK. (Server is still on, no down time)
Weather is OK. (no lightning etc)
I'm not going to reboot the server if there is nothing wrong with it.

Also the DynDNS is OK (the server reports its IP to both the DNS services - no problem there when the link is up)

It really looks like a network/ISP issue the more I eliminate things.
Unfortunately I don't have the ability to remotely reboot the router.
Also, I can't find the service status page for the ISP. It looks like they don't have one.

I'm going to take a break.

AMDave 2013-02-13 12:22

Just for completeness, I tested the NIC (in the current up-time)
The NIC is fine too.
Nothing exceptional in the netstat either.
Looks like local traffic (LAN) is fine.
Also looks like WAN traffic is fine - while it is working

there are 2 more networking tests I want to do but ...
blah - out it goes again.

Going to stalk some Zzzz's now.

AMDave 2013-02-13 12:35

caught another opening
checked another server on the LAN - all ok, LAN comms ok, local off-server copies of backups are current
outbound tracert show no unexpected external influences
pinning it down to the router now I think.

I'll be dreaming of a cat chewing on an CAT-5 cable tonight :P

gd_barnes 2013-02-13 12:44

Sorry guys. I'm out of town until Friday. I'll look at it when I get back. My machines are crunching away on my personal port so the server isn't down. Like Ian said, it's likely router or IP problems.

Lennart 2013-02-14 06:23

[QUOTE=gd_barnes;329306]Sorry guys. I'm out of town until Friday. I'll look at it when I get back. My machines are crunching away on my personal port so the server isn't down. Like Ian said, it's likely router or IP problems.[/QUOTE]

Seems to be working now.

Lennart

MyDogBuster 2013-02-14 18:36

Back to acting up again.

Edit: I'm starting to lead toward this being an ISP problem. Curious that it returns to normal around 3AM and starts
going flaky again around 9AM. That, or you have some kid downloading every porn movie in existence that lives in your neighborhood.

gd_barnes 2013-02-16 01:52

Major re-cycle has been completed. Everything seems to be running smoothly now.

MyDogBuster 2013-02-16 02:33

Did ya find out what was causing the problem BEFORE resetting everything?

gd_barnes 2013-02-16 05:19

[QUOTE=MyDogBuster;329692]Did ya find out what was causing the problem BEFORE resetting everything?[/QUOTE]

No. It just does that on a rare occassion. Usually I'm here to quickly fix it.

MyDogBuster 2013-02-16 11:07

About 6AM my time, it started again.

Your router may be going belly up or maybe a virus.

If your local connections work, it may be your cable modem. Try unconnecting the coax and power. Wait a minute. Reconnect the coax then the power. That should reset the cable modem. Just cycling the power doesn't always do the trick.

Edit: Back up at 6:45AM.

gd_barnes 2013-02-16 15:52

[QUOTE=MyDogBuster;329729]About 6AM my time, it started again.

Your router may be going belly up or maybe a virus.

If your local connections work, it may be your cable modem. Try unconnecting the coax and power. Wait a minute. Reconnect the coax then the power. That should reset the cable modem. Just cycling the power doesn't always do the trick.

Edit: Back up at 6:45AM.[/QUOTE]

I did that. I actually went the full route. I disconnected the coax from the wall, plugged it back in, disconnected it from the modem, plugged it back in, and then recycled the router. I also went so far as to unplug and replug the internet cords from the router and server machine. It took a few attempts but everything finally became stable.

My take on the matter is that some sort of maintenance is done by Time Warner from time to time and I have to do such things to "reset" it all. My cable TV box did not work either when I got home. I had to completely disconnect it and then reconnect it and wait for 10 mins. for it to reboot itself. The cable TV then worked fine. This also happens occassionally although not as frequently as the modem/router issues.

I believe both of these issues are a symptom of similar things happening...updating or maintenance by my provider.

Lennart 2013-02-18 19:18

I have problems again.

Lennart

MyDogBuster 2013-02-19 01:55

It seems to be going up and down like a yo-yo again.

gd_barnes 2013-02-19 06:49

I'm seeing no problems with my router. I think I've isolated the problem to a bad modem from my provider. Sometimes the little "ready" light will blink on and off for no particular reason and sometimes it is steady on. At this moment, it is steady on. I will contact them sometime on Tuesday and see if I can get someone out to replace it. It's business class so they should be out here within a day or two.