mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   PrimeNet (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   "Merge CPUs" removed them completly? (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=22532)

KradziejSoku 2017-08-22 21:35

"Merge CPUs" removed them completly?

Recently i've noticed that PrimeNet had two instances of my CPU so i tried to merge them without really thinking about it. After that, some errors like "CPU not found" popped up on site and then my CPU and all the assignments i had were gone from PrimeNet. I had 6 of them, 4 were double checks left on about 80%, so it'd be really sad to me to lose this much work. Thanks in advance for every bit of help!

ATH 2017-08-22 22:31

That happened to me a few months ago, so it seems to be a general bug.

Madpoo was able to recover them, so hopefully he can reassign those CPU to you.

Madpoo 2017-08-23 15:29

[QUOTE=KradziejSoku;466150]Recently i've noticed that PrimeNet had two instances of my CPU so i tried to merge them without really thinking about it. After that, some errors like "CPU not found" popped up on site and then my CPU and all the assignments i had were gone from PrimeNet. I had 6 of them, 4 were double checks left on about 80%, so it'd be really sad to me to lose this much work. Thanks in advance for every bit of help![/QUOTE]

Keep plugging away on those assignments. I don't know what happened to the CPUs (in ATH's case, I think they got "reassigned" to the anonymous account) but the assignments should still be valid.

I'll see if I can't track down your particulars and figure out what happened. For now I guess I'd just say, unless you really [B]need [/B]to merge CPUs for some reason, best to leave it be.

EDIT: I think I found the 2 computers...yeah, they were switched to the anonymous user so I moved them back to your account. The reason 2 might show up is that something significant changed on your computer that made it think it was a new system (could be a new OS, new motherboard, whatever) so it generates a new GUID... that GUID is really what keeps track of machines even if they have the same "cpu name".

KradziejSoku 2017-08-23 19:24

I don't really know why the 2nd instance of my cpu appeared, but i'll just leave them as they are, i don't wanna mess up anything again! ^^
Thank you very much for your help!

kotenok2000 2020-09-07 21:47

[QUOTE=Madpoo;466197]Keep plugging away on those assignments. I don't know what happened to the CPUs (in ATH's case, I think they got "reassigned" to the anonymous account) but the assignments should still be valid.

I'll see if I can't track down your particulars and figure out what happened. For now I guess I'd just say, unless you really [B]need [/B]to merge CPUs for some reason, best to leave it be.

EDIT: I think I found the 2 computers...yeah, they were switched to the anonymous user so I moved them back to your account. The reason 2 might show up is that something significant changed on your computer that made it think it was a new system (could be a new OS, new motherboard, whatever) so it generates a new GUID... that GUID is really what keeps track of machines even if they have the same "cpu name".[/QUOTE]
I have the same problem too.

lycorn 2020-09-08 18:15

Strange...
I am running 5 Colab CPU instances, so I get many "repeated" Cpus under my.account. I routinely merge Cpus, frequently 5 or more for each of the 5 Colab instances, and never had a single problem.

Ensigm 2020-10-16 11:04

[QUOTE=lycorn;556441]I am running 5 Colab CPU instances, so I get many "repeated" Cpus under my.account. I routinely merge Cpus, frequently 5 or more for each of the 5 Colab instances, and never had a single problem.[/QUOTE]

A digression from the topic, but recently I discovered that setting [C]FixedHardwareUID=1[/C] in [I]prime.txt[/I] stops the emergence of "repeated" cpus for good. This is actually written in [I]undoc.txt[/I], just think of your gdrive as being moved from an allocated cpu to another.